Betta Fish Forum banner

Ghost Shrimp 101

7K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  nmaybyte 
#1 ·
So I'm thinking of getting ghost shrimp. I really need to know all there is to them (Food, how many, care, etc). I have my betta in a ten gallon by himself.

Question 1: Do they need AQ salt?

#2 ·
My oldest ghost shrimp is currently 8 months old, so I must be doing something right. They don't care if they are in groups or not, but they are cheap, and more is better! Mine eat only betta pellets and algea wafers. The pellets are more important than the algea wafers. I try to feed mine 2 pellets a day. They are easy to care for. As long as you feed them and keep the water clean they will be happy. They need caves to hide in, and anything with an unusual texture (ex. Bumpy, crevices, cracks, etc...) will be appreciated. They do not need AQ salt. And only buy active, and clear shrimp. Milky color is a bad sign, and these shrimp are usually active if healthy.

#4 ·
I have an amano shrimp and a cherry shrimp in with my Betta, i was worried about the cherry shrimp at first because he was following it around religiously i thought he was gonna kill it but its been a few weeks now and there both looking happy he doesn't pay any attention to them anymore...

#5 ·
I'd get more than you think you want. They are cheap, and don't have the best survival rate. Also, have plenty of hiding places just in case your betta is a little aggressive. For example, one of my bettas ate all the shrimp in the tank within a few days. My other betta, in another tank, doesn't bother the shrimp at all. I put 7 ghost shrimp in my shrimp only tank, 4 survived the transition.

I have a planted tank with shrimp only and I feed them some flakes every couple of days. The ones that survived the first transition into my tank seem able to withstand anything thereafter.

#6 ·
I have 2 ghost shrimp left in my 10 gallon. They eat the leftover flakes from my platys and algae wafer that i put in for my snail. I don't give them any special care. They do love hanging out on my java moss and hornwort though. They keep it nice and clean. I would agree on getting more than you think you want. They have relatively no bioload and it's fun to watch them scurry around. The like hiding too, sometimes I won't see them for a few days.

I put one in with one of my betta and he ate it :p Some won't though. But if they do, it's a nice snack. lol

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, and yes...

HOWEVER! *Yells enough to cause all the fish tanks to shake*

I've had my Ghost's for about 2 weeks now they do tend to go up and down the tank but I think it's because they are playing with their reflections in the glass. Much like your betta sometimes will play with it's reflection. I have several open spots on my tank that they could easily climb out from... so far so good. I've even watched them go to the surface but it was only to grab part of a plant and try to pull it down (Normally they fail and they comically fall and flail all the way down).

For my 10gal I purchased 12... 2 weeks later I can COUNT 8-10 then again don't bother I don't see any shells of them and Drax doesn't seem to go after them so I bet all 12 are there just I never count them right. Some hide, some are always out.
As for feeding... *Shrugs* I don't really even try, same as my mom when she feeds during the week while I'm at school. Drax watches you VERY closely when your at the tank (With his good eye too) and gobbles up anything you drop in. When feeding I do try and sink several pellets down while he's eating other pellets but if I'm not fast enough he'll then dive down and literally grab the pellets from the Shrimps hands He just ate the one my Egg Laden Shrimp (Bertha) was eating! HE STOLE FOOD FROM A MOTHER TOO BE! XD

But as I said... it's been a few weeks and most of the shrimp are still there, very glass like and healthy, so obviously their finding enough to eat on their own.

Also forgot to mention...
More fun from my mother... at first she thought the Shrimp were creepy... "They look Like Spiders!" Two weeks later... she's like. "Oh it's so fun how they grab a pellet and run off with it! I get lost watching them sometimes!"

From Creepy Spiders... to Adorable little Clowns... EVERYBODY LOVES TEH GHOSTIES!

#9 ·
Ghosties are fun little guys. Get the smallest ones as they're usually the youngest and they only live a year or two. They are actually not capable of leaving the water, so don't worry about them taking a trip around your house. They do eat fish feces. I have observed this because I like to stare at my fish instead of doing homework. :D Be careful if you ever need to medicate your betta, as most fish meds will kill them. Overall, they're super easy to care for and really the only thing that will flat out kill them is dirty water. You know you're keeping a good, clean tank when you can get shrimp to thrive.

#11 ·
But the larger they are, the sooner they die! Lol, it's a catch twenty-two! My reasoning when I got them was that if my betta tried to eat them at least he wouldn't choke to death. It seems harsh, but there you go. My guess is it depends on your betta. I've got little ones in with my boy and the only time they even notice each other is during feeding time when the shrimp come up to the top to try to steal the betta's food.

#19 ·
But the larger they are, the sooner they die! Lol, it's a catch twenty-two! My reasoning when I got them was that if my betta tried to eat them at least he wouldn't choke to death. It seems harsh, but there you go. My guess is it depends on your betta. I've got little ones in with my boy and the only time they even notice each other is during feeding time when the shrimp come up to the top to try to steal the betta's food.
Correct. I read a ghost shrimp article stating these creatures only have a lifespan of 1.5 years average so get the smallest ones if you plan on keeping them awhile.

#15 ·
Do I HAVE to have live plants to keep them? I want to put some in my 3 gallon because Glitter spits out a lot of his food, and they would love that. I've heard conflicting things about whether or not they need live plants.

#21 ·
I'm getting 7 tomorrow!! Do I need to float the bag in the tank, and all that stuff? And do I need to take my betta out?
**********Please answer, I'm seriously getting them Tomorrow*************

#25 ·

You can still crush the pellets to powder and sprinkle lightly hoping the shrimp gets its fair share. Vacuum the flakes out if they're stuck there for more than five minutes.

#30 ·
Only works a few times... They LEARN!

Drax doesn't seem to go for that anymore because he KNOWS food will come and he'll miss it if he goes over to you distracting him.

It's getting harder and harder to trick him to the point where I just want to scream at him ... WHAT? It's annoying to have 10 pellets floating halfway down and he swims over and just starts picking the pellets off before the shrimp even realize it.

#28 ·
:-DI got all 7:-D
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They went in well, though 2-3 did stay out of water 15-25 seconds.:-( That should be okay though?
Russell seems to be okay, he didn't even notice when I put them in, so that was good. He bothered 2 for a minute, saw me watching then just left them alone. They all seem fine(clear, no green sacs). So, All is well

Mission Accomplished!

#29 ·
Hmmm... No one has posted back...

Well, all is going well, one love my fliter (don't wory, I have the Fluval Edge Pre-Filter thingy, it's safe) and another loves this huge crater in the gravel. Three just like to hang out where I feed them. On the afternoon of the 2nd day with them, I saw all 7 (miracle?) and they all are still fine. I'll try to take some pics and hopefullyupload them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.