Betta Fish Forum banner

Debate about the Correct tank size for a Single Betta.

9K views 62 replies 30 participants last post by  trilobite 
#1 · (Edited)
I see that there Is a very big debate about the correct tank size for a single Betta. Some say that anything under 5 gallons is cruel. While others say 1 gallon is just fine. Some say that a bigger tank is easier to take care of while others feel that smaller is much less work.
You can say a many number of things about what you think the correct size tank is. This is your Opinion. I can say a many number of things to disagree with you. That is my Opinion. Everyone in the world has their Opinion on the matter. But none of us can truly tell who has the correct Opinion. Even scientist who have done experiments on the correct tank size have their Opinions.
Not just on this website but on many others I have noticed people being judged on their Opinions of the correct tank size. This is their Opinion, and I believe that we should not judge them and their Opinions.

Notice how I did not use the words Wrong or Right in the above text. This is because none of us can truly tell who is wrong or right. As the world is full of Opinions and everyone is entitled to their own.

My Opinion is that 2.5 Gallons is the correct size for a single Betta. I may be wrong, and nothing is stoping you from telling me your Opinion. But just because you may think I'm wrong, does not mean you have to start nagging me about the matter.
I am not suggesting that it is ok to cram a Betta into I tiny bowl and we should keep trying to turn people away from doing this. I am simply stating this fact.

The world is full of Opinions. Right or Wrong we may never know. Just because you think 5 gallon tank is the minimum tank size. Doesn't mean you can go out and yell at someone for keeping their Betta in a 2.5 gallon tank.

I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I just had to get this off my chest. I have had to many people on other websites nag at me.

See less See more
#2 ·
well put. fish keeping is a matter of personal preference and what works best for the individual.

#3 ·
i always suggest a 2 gallon or larger to new betta keepers. while some may see me as a hypocrite for saying that, yet keeping Lulu in a gallon, i have reasons i've stated many times, and will state again: She hates anything bigger. i tried her out in a 2 gallon, and she hid for a week straight, barely coming out to eat. i had to work, to get her out of that cave. no, she wasn't ill. she didn't have ick, or velvet, or anything. she was scared. it was a planted up tank, with enough plants to keep any betta happy, but she didn't care. once she was back in her 1 gallon, she was happy, active Lulu again. if someone can't get a 2 gallon, and must get something smaller, i let them know how much work goes into keeping a smaller tank. keeping Lulu happy isn't easy, but i love her enough to do well over 3 water changes a week.

#4 ·
My opinion is that we should help/teach others to take proper care of their Betta in what ever size container they want to keep their Betta in and not be overly critical of the tank size they have......

Betta keeping isn't an exact science-too many variables......

More to proper care than tank size.....

#5 ·
While I strongly recommend 5+ gallons for beginners, that is because I personally find them easier to keep because you can cycle them. Maintenance is tons easier when a tank is properly cycled. That is just a plain fact. Getting the tank cycled isn't always easy... Many people don't like the expense. People complain about it taking up too much space.
Just like I think that doing water changes more than once or twice a week is a pain. I find it hard to properly light a smaller tank. Some people love the portability of smaller tanks. They can keep more bettas if they have smaller tanks.
It really is about finding what works for that person.

#6 ·
*reads and clicks away*

x_x .. there's always a new one .. when another closes .. i hope this one stays civil this time =D

#9 ·
I personally, have kept a betta in a bowl and he lived to 7 years (not bad) with some problems... but hey he was my first betta. He got popeye twice, then after that I cleaned that bowl out alot more often and he was healthier! My second betta, lived 5 years, in a 1.5 gallon tank with heater. Now, Ihave used since then 1.5 and up. I use the 2 gallon "goldfish" bowl, and a 2 gallon vase for two bettas, but the wate ris kept clean, and also my room is warmer than warm and the water is at 24 degrees anyways >< And both are terribly active. Once I get some more dividers made, they'll be moving to a divided 10 :) Because my bettas are just spoiled >.> lol
-throws two pennies in the air- there's my two cents.

#10 ·
I got my first Betta several months ago. In that time I've gone from a gallon bowl, to a three gallon tank, to a ten gallon that houses my single betta and a mystery snail. I've found what works best for me. I literally couldn't stand doing water changes all the time, and with the ten gallon, there's more room for decorations and plants. I think everyone just finds what works for them, and as long as the betta(s) is well taken care of, that's fine with me.

#16 ·
Well, to me, anything you can 1. have a heater in (mini heaters included) and 2. keep your fishy healthy in, go for it :) I've had a range of bowls, small tanks and up to 20 gallons. I definitely will say, that bowls take more work, small tanks take more work, and cycled tanks take less work >< Just my opinion :) So if you had a couple bowl bettas, you may not mind it. But as for me, I have 9 bettas, plus a job, and schooling lol. So 9 bowls or small tanks would be terrifying :p

#17 ·
*sigh* These threads are getting as bad as the "WALMART IZ TEH DEVIL" threads.

What it comes down to is.. are you happy looking at a fish sit in a tiny "tank" on a table and only turn around once or twice and that's the life it's destined to live forever? or do you want a pet who has some sort of enrichment in its life? Is simply having clean water and heat good enough?

#19 ·
i think we all learn as we go... i had no clue about bettas..but i also love animals and i will do what ever it takes to keep them happy. thank goodness for this site..i have learned a lot my boy is happy i can tell and if it wosnt for all you betta lovers helping me out i would be listening to the petco "fish"ppl and keep my betta in a .5gl bowl with nothing in it, My boys home is 2.5gl filtered and heated, i spend most of my day near him,i play with him and talk to him..So THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING ME THE BEST BETTA KEPPER I CAN BE:wave::BIGhappy:

#20 ·
When there is clearly a wide spread debate over this topic, I think it is unnecessary to create a thread that only encourages bickering and solves nothing. There is no magic answer out there to this and people are not going to change their minds. You are not going to convince others of your view no matter how many threads are created. I agree with OFL. Let us focus on advising others how to properly care for their fish in the situation they present us with on a case by case basis.

#30 ·
well said ... this^ +1

#23 ·
Maybe it's just my own claustraphobia, but I cannot stand the thought of ANYTHING living in a very small space - thats just me! Plus, it gives me great happiness to create a beautiful " pond" or " puddle " for my little Fish Perry. I may not be able to afford a mansion or a ranch of 100 acres, But I CAN create a fantastic environment for my Fishie! Currently, Fish Perry is in a 5 gallon heated, filtered tank with a two story cave and many silk plants. He routinely patroles EVERY inch of his "territory"! I plan to upgrade his tank to a ten gallon to further reduce my water changes. Another perk of a larger space is the beauty of it! It is very relaxing to watch this gorgeous little creature zipping around in a pretty tank. So those are my thoughts on the subject.

#24 ·
I agree that proper care is more important then tank size. But, I also don't want to see a betta in a tiny bowl. I created this thread, not to start more fighting, but to hear everyones opinion on the matter. Just today i asked a question in another fourm and 5 seconds later everyone was saying rude and hurtfull comments on my tank size.
When we see someone who we think is doing something wrong we should help them, not hate them. That is my motto.

#25 ·
Ignore them. You don't deserve that. The fact that you even take the time to explore the issue means you care about your pet.
A 2.5 gallon was no good for me because I wanted a filter and in that tank size the filter blew him around! Now I want a 10 gallon because I enjoy the ease of care ( fewer water changes ) and, as I said above, I love the big pretty environment. It's therapy for me. LOL! I think 2.5 gallons gives your fish room to swim around, and if you dont mind the up-keep then it works for you!

#26 ·
I have everything from one gallons all the way up to 10 gallons. I keep newer ones in smaller tanks to see how they do. Really just watching them and keeping an eye on them. I have 2 x 1 gl, 3x 3 gls, 2 x 5 gls, 3 10 gls. And some that I am not sure...critter keepers/medium. All my fish have lived since I bought the first one about a year ago. No issues (knock on wood) that I can really speak of. :)

#28 ·
I think it really depends on how good your water quality is, I mean, sure, I bet a Betta would appreciate more room to swim, but, eh.

#29 ·
I have one guy who was in a 5 and he was always floating up around the top....wouldn't ever swim around. Just kinda sat there. He is in a 1 gal now. He is quite active. I don't know, maybe it depends on the fish and what they like?

#31 ·
Tracy yeah I noticed that... My friend's blind betta sulks in a bigger tank. He likes his 1.5 gallons... I don't. But, better than him sulking and not doing anything. We got him a mini heater, and he is pretty good.

Like I said personally I have had and do have bowls (2 gallon so-called goldfish bowls), but I have tanks too. Plus I like to add stuff, and make it interesting for the fishies :p and I spoil them... XD if I had room, I want to get one of those pond things and get some girlies, live plants, etc :) because it's ascetically pleasing.

However I have seen betta fish in shoe heels, and necklace pendants (from this site) and I do strongly disagree with something like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.