Betta Fish Forum banner

how do i stop it!?!

8K views 171 replies 16 participants last post by  betta lover1507 
#1 ·
okay watching "Rio" (bird movie) i got interested in birds, i was like "I will get over it in a couple days :roll: no beggie". and my little brother got super interested in it. i got over birds and moved on, my little brother will blast his xbox (xbox add-on from youtube) of Rio music and lot's of stuff about birds, am like :frustrated: "make it stop, it isn't helping!!". so that went on for a few days, now he stopped. all i could think about is birds :lol: kinda scares me. and i just caught myself in a thread about birds, and suddenly learning about birds :shock: now i know lot's of stuff about cockatiel's :blueshake: omg how do i end this maddness?!? it is not that am okay with one, i have my adorable "Pursey" my snake to take care of, and no way will my parents allow this :lol: i've gone mad!! and staying off this forum (for 5 days) did not help :-x anyone know how to get over it!!

#2 · (Edited)
try to resist it. i wasnt in the market for a gecko, it was the farthest thing from my mind. i came across the reptile thread here and fell in love with crested geckoes. i held one at the LPS and decided to get one, though not from an LPS but a breeder. it was hard to resist in my case, i hope you have better luck in your predicament. i got caught up in gecko land ie research and stuff within a day or 2. my best guess is to distract your mind from any bird related topics. or your can try watch Hitchcock's movie "The Birds" to convince yourself its not the best idea atm.

you can try to convince yourself that theres no space for a new pet. it works great for me as i have limited space for pet habitats ie tanks and terariums.

#8 ·
I have a snake and bird :p The bird stays away from the snake and the snake stays away from the bird (helps that the snake is a baby)

Just go to the pet stores a lot or zoos or if you have a library with a bird cage in it. Keep yourself around birds it'll help. I was the same way about a bearded dragon. I still want one really bad but I'm resisting for the moment

#4 ·
nel3; my best guess is to distract your mind from any bird related topics. or your can try watch Hitchcock's movie "The Birds" to convince yourself its not the best idea atm. [/QUOTE said:
LOl Really the birds?! :lol: Your going to scar the person.

#5 · (Edited)
lol, how can a oldie blk/white film with minimal effects do that in such an advanced age? jokes aside the old movies are still very good and i dont think that the birds movie would do much compared to the gory horror films these days. im actually trying to look for that darn movie as amateer of fact.

as far as getting more pets im 30% impulse but mostly aware of real estate constraints to put the potential new pets in. ive stopped with new pets and just focus on the current ones. its a hard task to resist but if you list too many cons about getting new pets then its a bit easier to resist. i wont lie, i love birds but i find the most colourful ones loud if anything. dont get me started on the large size and price for them. i wouldn't mind a quiet bird but id be afraid of it getting loose and fly away for good. im more into predatory raptors than smaller breeds.

#6 ·
i'll try , hot rod i know they wouldn't get along that is one reason am pulling back. and i really don't want to watch another movie :lol: also i tried to resist today, brother was constantly talking about birds, i see little advertisements that show chickens, some singer singing there free as a bird like OMG the world is on me D: and my brother is playing angry birds right now!

#9 · (Edited)
pet compatablity has also been decided for me as a deterent. i do have room for a cat or a dog but new furniture and compatability to my current pets is an issue. funny thing about the Hitchcock movie, in most bird scenes, those were real birds and the actress did get actual mild bird related wounds. i caught that from a recent radio interview with the actress looking back to those shooting days.

lol angry birds is a funny game but surprsingly difficult at times. th bird thing may just be a phase for him. ive had the cat/dog phase/interest already.

#10 ·
no libaries here, zoo's are so far away. petstores will make it worse .
also i having a habit about thinking about cockatiels, i do have time for attention, feeding, bathing, cleaning, etc for a bird. it is just my parents wouldn't want me to have a bird, kinda don't want to tell them (yeah i haven't spoken about it yet) :\ yah know what worse? am getting money on my B-day, which is in 9 days :lol: no good at all. i would probably end up buying one!! Ohh mehh gahhh! i never had a cat/dog interest :\

#11 ·
sad face indeed. Umm I would maybe breech the subject to your parents for a b-day gift? or for your gift just to be to let you get one :) That's how I got my Spike, I bugged my parents long enough and then I got one. gosh that was when I was ...that was almost 12 years ago...I kinda feel old lol

#12 ·
the'll say get rid of one of my other pets thats why i won't ask, or take away my spawning equipment... do birds need any kind of electronic devices? just wondering, the'll probably flip if they hear it. because who wants to hear this:
a 13-year-old girl that has 7 betta's (and a little guest, my bro CT boy)
and one western hognose snake that also has one dog and cat, that wants a bird? :lol: seriously, they think am responsible for the cat though it is my younger brother's, just because am the cat's love, she will follow me and bother the heck out of me for attention

#14 ·
lol I've had a snake, hamster, a tank full of fish, two dogs and my bird at once LOL. As for electronic stuff as long as your house stays pretty warm (high 60's low 70's) you should be fine. I have my house at 75 at the moment and she's happy as could be :) Although if you have a computer with music they do like to dance. Spike has developed an ear for bass and if its the right beat she just goes off dancing. I have a video but beware view at your own risk :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgJUfMsIUB0&feature=g-upl&context=G2cdb968AUAAAAAAAAAA

#15 ·
Why not keep learning? Keep reading, and become a very well-informed birdless person! That way, when you finally do get one you'll know lots about them and their care, and probably avoid making all kinds of mistakes as a new bird owner.

I wish to heck I'd done that with bettas, rather than taking the pet store employee's word for gospel..:oops:

#16 · (Edited)
aww what a awesome bird, but idk what the temp is :\ i have a radiator, so bird don't need electronic devices? well besides a radiator thing :p whats a ear for brass? also idk about bird food at all, like which one is cheap but good nutrition or what evers. i NEVER owned a bird before (none of my family has). am afraid they'll take things away from me, i could tell them some good things about birds but if i do this i think i will have to give up betta breeding :( and i don't want to do that. and as i said am 13 they will think i have too many animals. though my brother takes care of my snake (it was a deal,you take care of my snake, i take care of your fish)

i did learn lots of stuff before having a betta. so, am thinking about a cockatiel bird, they sound very well and a great beginner bird too. would they need a large height cage?

#17 ·
I think a bird deserves the biggest cage you can get. They will be so much happier with room to move. Of course being out of the cage daily would be a substitute.

Can't believe no one's brought this up, but see if you have any bird rescues near by. Says you live in Chicago, there's bound to be some bird rescues there. Ask to come by, maybe help out. It'd be a great way to be around birds if you can't have one. Maybe you'd even end up adopting one from a rescue :3

#19 ·
I think a bird deserves the biggest cage you can get. They will be so much happier with room to move. Of course being out of the cage daily would be a substitute.
Spike is only in her cage at night, but still has a pretty big cage overall. Currently she's sleeping on it next to her mirror.

#18 ·
lol food is food, as long as your get cockatiel food your good and just keep seed in their cage always. and once again other than staying warm you dont really have to worry about them. They wont over eat like our silly fish but they do like variety. Out side of seed you can give them just about everything. Dairy and fatty foods aren't good for birds but I admit to sharing some ice cream or french fries with here occasionally. Fruits and veggies are good, and even some meats. Just watch out for fatty meats. Chicken is good for them, surprisingly considering its like a long lost cousin but watch the spices. Watch out for things that expand in your tummy (like rice and bread) they will over eat on those and then be sick in about a half hour. Also dont feed them anything cooked on teflon, it gives off a chemical thats not good for birdies. And what i meant by an ear for bass, is bass as in music, you know "bump up the bass"

#20 · (Edited)
I breed eclectus parrots and lemme tell you, birds can be challenging. You have to be so careful because they have extremely sensitive respiratory systems. Everything they breathe in goes directly into their blood stream and can kill them fast. When I got my first bird I had to get rid of everything in the house that had teflon (including pots and pans, curling iron and even clothes iron), no scented candles, no perfumes, absolutely no chemical cleaners and no more home air fresheners. My fiancee did not want to risk killing the bird he just spent over $1000 on so it all had to go. I love my birds dearly so I did not mind having to change a lot in the house and it even taught me a lot about healthier living.

Keep researching bird care, they do make exceptional companions as long as you get the right kind that fits in with your lifestyle. Join a mailing list or forum with other bird owners and you can learn a LOT of great stuff. Cockatiels do make great starter birds but any bird is a huge commitment especially since they live so long. Birds are kind of like bettas, there are so many misconceptions about what is appropriate for their care.

As for feeding, cockatiels can survive on seed but it's not the healthiest diet. Seed supplemented with fresh raw veggies and fruit is best. There are also pellet diets on the market that people feed their birds which are good if fresh foods cannot be offered on a daily basis. You can give them chicken as a treat, I give mine baked chicken wings smothered in fresh jalapenos once a week. I personally would never feed anything to my birds that is not natural (seeds,nuts,veggies,fruit,etc.) but then again I'm also feeding parrots and they are feeding chicks.

#22 ·
Volunteering with birds would give you a lot of hands on experience, dealing with problems etc, that would be hard to earn from just reading.

My parents would never let me get a bird because of the dander and noise.
Good luck convincing your parents! Keep reading ;)

My dream bird is a toucan or aracari. I read a ton about them, thinking they'd be horrible pets, but they actually seem like such great birds :3

#23 · (Edited)
My parents would never let me get a bird because of the dander and noise.
Good luck convincing your parents! Keep reading ;)

My dream bird is a toucan or aracari. I read a ton about them, thinking they'd be horrible pets, but they actually seem like such great birds :3
I have always wanted a toucan! They make wonderful companions and are so friendly.

You bring up an excellent point with the dander and noise. Birds rise with the sun and go to sleep when it sets so they are noisiest at the crack of dawn and dusk. Dander is horrible for anyone with allergies and dust based dander is soooo messy. I went with eclectus to avoid the dander but I still have the noise, although they talk more than they scream.

Another thing to keep in mind is vet care. Avian vet care can be expensive if something happens. A yearly check up runs me around $90 per bird and when I had an egg binding scare (hens lay eggs regardless of a nest) that was a nice $4000 vet bill. I am not trying to be discouraging, I love my birds dearly and I would not trade them for anything.

Below is my eclectus pair with their first clutch of chicks.

Attachments

#25 ·
Now that I can't answer, lol. You know your parents best. Teflon is the "non stick" black stuff on the surfaces of pots and pans.

#27 ·

Here's my 2 cents :-D You need to ask yourself, where do I want to be in my life when I leave home? Birds can live many years (as well as many pets) and you need to be prepared to care for them, if you were to go to college (great idea), start dating, etc. What if you want to start traveling, who would care for them, and are you prepared for the expense of a petsitter? I have no clue how old you are, but if you're living with your parents, is that what you always want to be doing?

I volunteer at a wildlife clinic, that cares for sick, orphaned wild birds etc., and it's made me realize I don't really care that much for birds, but do respect and enjoy wild birds. Perhaps like others suggest you should do some volunteering in this area.

Sometimes people acquire pets because they are bored, lonely etc, and are looking for something to fill a void (which pets can't do over a period of time). This is where hoarding begins, and it can't stop unless you look at what you may feel you are missing. Maybe every time you think about getting a new pet, you should go for a run, or invite a friend over etc.

Not to sound like I'm preaching, but give it some thought. You will not always be at home, and if you have lots of pets it can weigh you down, and keep you from taking on new adventures.

Gwen

#28 ·
i don't have friends....
but i don't know. am only 13, i have issues if rushed like this. i really just wanted a bird but i wasn't sure, now since you've said that am panicking!! like omg what will i do?? i feel twisted up inside :( college is a distance from me right now. am barely finishing 8th grade D:
should i tell my parents now?

#36 ·

I have a great daughter, who is 13 :-D You know your parents better than we do. My daughter has a leopard gecko, and I would care for it if she couldn't, for whatever reason. That's me though. I'm one of those people who makes a commitment to animals. Many people don't. Once they don't fit into their lives, they get rid of them. We also have older ferrets, which my daughter loves, but she already understands that we won't replace them when they die. She is on to other things and interests, and they do require so much care. I'm becoming more interested in fishkeeping :)

Gwen

#29 ·
I've been in college for two years now. I had to leave Spike at home last year and it killed me but I had to live in a dorm. It was kinda rough on her but my parents kept her company while I was gone. Then in the beginning of summer I moved into an app with my bf that allowed animals and ta-da my birdie moved with me :) Yeah its good to think of the future but I sure didn't when I got Spike (age 10). Those things you'll figure out when the time comes. If I was in your situation I would broach the subject the morning of my b-day. (can't really get to angry at me can they?) Point out that you've cared for all of these other animals so well (might be good to add if you've stayed out of trouble recently or did good on a test). Or say if your a pretty good student make a proposition that if you get high B's and A's on your report card that you can have one. That's how I weaseled mine. I had to get a 4.0 GPA on my report card, I got a 3.89 but they still let me get her.

#30 ·
Tell your parents. Don't force them into it. You'll have to be sure that they'd take care of your birdie if you had to move into a dorm. I'm in this problem with my snake.. If I manage to get into school here, I'll have 4 years left here, then 3 years away from mr snake to go to vet school. At least I'd only have to come feed him every 3 weeks. Birds need daily care and you have to have a plan for the future with an animal like that.

#31 · (Edited)
Just keep in mind how long a bird lives. Cockatiels can live up to 20+ years so you have to plan for that. I had already graduated college by the time I got mine and did not have to worry about leaving them for any extended period of time but it affects my life now. I cannot travel for more than a weekend without finding someone I trust to care for them while I'm gone. When I got my first bird the breeder made a good comparison. She said they are like having an intelligent two year old that never grows up and made sure I was ready for that kind of commitment long term.

#32 ·
i do get good grades, i was thinking about buying the bird and stuff with my money :\ but i have a big feeling of a "no" :( i actually wanted a bird when i was 10 before, and never had, i always liked birds a little inside. but i just didn't knew where to start about it. i was always nervous of what will my parents say.
wait, i have to live in a dorm!? i hate those things!

#33 ·
Hey you can still try no matter how nervous. The worst they will tell you is no and that leaves you no different from where you are now. They wont take anything away for asking. You're already expecting the worst (procrastination, lol, I do it too) so if they tell you "no" your kinda ready for it. I felt the same way when I asked my dad "Will you kill me if I got a tattoo?" :) and I'm going to get a second tattoo soon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.