Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #171 
Karebear13

He looks so bad again :( ugh Benzema... Last night after I videotaped him swimming he went back to being depressed on the gravel. At first I thought he was just throwing a tantrum cause he hates the camera but then he stayed like that for three more hours and I went to bed this morning I found him still like that :( So I took the heater out cause the tank seemed more cloudy. Then later when I came back from class he was semi active but then went back to laying in the gravel. When he lays there he just drops his body and his fins are clinched to his body and he doesn't move at all one would think he is dead. He has been like this all day. And also now that I don't have the heater he was probably cold. I just don't have the time to disinfect Malachi's heater to put in the tank. So I took him out of the tank and back in his little cup and am floating him in the one gallon tank with the heater but he is so down its breaking my heart to see him like that. He just lays there at the bottom no movement at all doesn't even care that he is in the cup :( I don't know what else to do for him. And he will most likely stay in the cup till Saturday when I can get the new tank, but I will change the water

Last edited by Karebear13; 03-01-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #172 
FishyFishy89

Is it possible that maybe he just likes to be active certain times of the day?
Are you also keeping notes on what times he is inactive and active?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #173 
Karebear13

Yeah I thought that at first but is it normal for them to lay on the gravel for longer than an hour? And yeah it just happens randomly. Idk Should I put him back in his tank? I don't want to stress him out moving him back in and out. Saturday SUnday and Monday he was fine and wouldn't just lay on the ground like that then he started it back up Tuesday and today it got worse.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #174 
Sena Hansler

how long have you had him? some bettas just come sick or with an unseen illness that pops up.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #175 
Karebear13

I got him about 11 days ago. He seems so healthy and then he just has these relapses :( He still eats so that is a plus but Idk what to do cause he shows no signs of illness other than being lethargic most of the time
Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #176 
Sena Hansler

Check his gills. How hard he is breathing. And even use a flashlight on him - this'll rule out some things
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #177 
Karebear13

He has no signs of sickness on his body. Scales look good. I did notice him sort of panting earlier but that was only once he has been pretty good about breathing normally. Should i leave him in the little cup till I get a new tank or should I release him I don't want to keep cupping him and uncupping him.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #178 
Karebear13

Now that I look at him it does look like he is breathing harder than normal? What does this mean
Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #179 
callistra

Potentially gill flukes.
You need to do more than float though. You need to also introduce a couple tablesoons every ten minutes several times over. I usually do this 4-6 tlimes.

Smell the tank. Smell like anything?
Test your water,., what are ammonia nitrite and nitrate?

Is he getting pale again too?

I just recently went through a poisoning with my newest boy (fish drama at my house never seems to end..) I've got it narrowed down to a suction cup or some silk plants. Both have a very strong plastic smell that has leached into the tank.. smells mostly like the plants though so that's what i'm leaning toward..By Vibran-Sea

Last edited by callistra; 03-02-2012 at 12:54 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #180 
Karebear13

The only things in the tank was the gravel, heater and cave. The water didn't smell funny It did feel a little slimy. The water couldn't have had high nitrites and nitrates because I just did a water change on Tuesday 100%. The Only thing I can think of is possible clorox residue from when I disinfected it even though I did a thorough job so it comes as a shocker if that is the reason. He is breathing really hard is there anything else I can do for him? I have been adding water to the cup throughout the day