Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #71 
Gizmothefreaky

Omg sorry i havent been on!! Life has hit me like a brick lately. XD

Yes, he will be fine going without food for two days, but it isnt healthy in the long run to let anything go without food for too long.

I have never used that sand with frogs, but i have used it with fish, and it was very pretty. I didnt notice any ill efect with the fish, but it was several years ago, so i think better safe than sorry, and go with a less abrasive sand. I know petco sells its own brand of sand that my friends absolutely love with their frogs. I have actually been using sand box play sand for a couple years, and it has anywhere from very fine sand to teeny pebbles in it, and i have never seen a problem.

Unfortunately i dont know much about the chemistry of a cycle, i actually just kindof let all my tanks cycle on their own. ^^; -bad fish momma- but i never lost a fish in a cycle period. XD

Also, i am a woman, just fyi. X3

Last edited by Gizmothefreaky; 03-01-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #72 
Chesh

*giggle* I know you're a momma! And thank you for the advice! I also don't know much about cycling, which is why I'm sticking to the advice of someone who does (and happens to be a man, if this was the source of confusion!). But YOU are stuck with being my FROG guru, so I have to double-check! Today is day 2, and if I hadn't heard back from you within the next hour or so I was going to feed him just to play it safe, lol! I know how busy life can get, thank you for taking the time to check in on us here! Your advice is very appreciated!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #73 
SnowySurface

I went with Tahitian Moon Sand because it is less course than gravel and not made of silica sand. Normally silica sand is very safe but I happen to have envormentally triggered asthma which makes my sensitivity to "safe stuff" sky high. T_T

However, I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong and did a second search on sand. I found this article on sand in general that explains what most commonly used aquarium sands are made of. It did confirm that pool and play sand are silica based and come covered in silica dust. So those are out of the running. I copied and pasted information about two sands in perticular and bolded parts for enphasis.

Black Bueaty Sand
Black beauty sand is also used by the sand-blasting industry and can be purchased in home supply stores. It is not naturally occurring sand; it is powdered iron slag. The iron will affect the chemistry of your aquarium and this must of course be taken into consideration. Powdered iron slag can have pretty sharp edges and is therefore not the best choice for species continuously sift sand.

Tahitain Moon Sand
Another example of comparatively expensive sand is the beautiful, but costly, black Tahitian moon sand. Black Tahitian moon sand is commonly used to make colourful fish look even more flamboyant in aquariums, since their flashy colouration will contrast sharply against the black sand. Unlike black beauty, back Tahitian moon sand is not made from iron slag.

I also found this forum post with pictures of the various sands on Cichlid-forum.com. Up close you can really see how Moon Sand is not has Sharp as Black Bueaty. I have always used acrylic tanks and my old tanks that had gravel substrate have cracks where sharp gravel scraped the sides and bottom of the tank. The Tahitian Moon Sand acrylic tanks do not have those scratches.

Therefore, since it is very new, I think a lot of people are getting Black Bueaty Sand and Black Tahitian Moon Sand mixed up and Moon Sand actually is soft enough for bottom dewellers. But I'm not naive so I won't stop researching until I find out what Moon Sand is made of. Since it doesn't bother my asthma, my money is on clay or really, really crushed gravel. -_-
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #74 
Chesh

Thanks for the info! I'm still SUCH a novice that sand in the first place is a bit frightening! I'm planning on cycling a 10 gallon tank (as opposed to the 30 gallon tank that is currently inhabited) and 'practicing' with sand in general, as I know it's more difficult to deal with than gravel. Being brand new to ALL of this stuff, I'd rather practice on an empty tank and avoid any damage to life forms AND filters before I commit to the entire tank. Thinking that at some point in the future I'll rehome the ADF to a 10 gallon tall corner tank and give him the best sand possible, and use the TMSand on the main tank. Still undecided, still researching. . .

Did you ever check into PetSmart to see if they had ADFs and no ACFs? I'm so excited for you to get a little froggy of your own! I'm so in love with mine!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #75 
Gizmothefreaky

Oooh, now i understand. XD Okay then.

Good luck with the sand!! I hope all goes well. :)
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #76 
SnowySurface

Actually no. ^_^; I've forgotten how much work it is to start up a cycle so I've been distracted both of my 5 gallon tanks for the past week. I'm also debating adding a floating plant and moss ball just for the fun of it. So I've been too focused on the tanks to think about the ADFs and bettas that will go in them. XD

I'm going to check this Saturday since I want 2 frogs and still plan on QT for about a month before I put both frogs together. I also think I'm going to close up the section where my filter hangs with some mesh. There used to be plastic that narrowed the opening but it broke off at some point. The gap never bugged me with my bettas, but I think ADF can jump a bit better.

The other tank is going to be for a king betta. I've always had regular sized bettas so I think it would be kind of cool to have a king betta for a change. But I'm going to get him closer to when the tanks are cycled. He's solo so I'm just going to toss him unless he has something obviously wrong with him.

Then one day, in a distant future, I'm going to actually start the 20 gallon long NPT tank I've been thinking about. That may be a sorority or non-betta community tank. I'm still not sure.

Yet again, I am plagued with more ideas than I have money and space. XD
Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #77 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
Yet again, I am plagued with more ideas than I have money and space. XD
Hooo, boy! Do I know that feeling well! Can't wait to see when you have everything ready to go!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #78 
SnowySurface

Random Update time. :D

So originally I was going to have 1 betta in 1 5 gallon, 2 ADF in the other 5 gallon, and a sorority in my new 20 gallon tank. So needless to say I've been doing research into sororities and ADFs. Of course after buying the tank, the more I read about sororities, the less motivated I feel about starting one. I still want to make a 20 gallon long NPT, so the tank wasn't a waste of money or anything. There will be live plants in there whether the live plants want to be under my care or not.

However, I'm not 100% sure I want to fill a 20 gallon tank with 8-9 female bettas. I'm more inclined to do 5-6 bettas in a 15 gallon long tank. But I don't have a 15 gallon tank. I have a 20 gallon tank I was able to afford because it was on sale. So, I'm setting up the 20 gallon as planned but I now have no idea what will keep the plants company.

Which leads me to the reason for this update. Now that my computer is working well enough to last me another year, my spare money can be directed towards pets again. If I went with 1 betta in each of my 5 gallons and made the 20 gallon for an ADF community, what can go in a tank with ADFs? 8 ADFs and 1 betta sounds silly to me even if it wouldn't over tax the bioload. Is there a schooling fish that goes well with 3 - 4 ADFs in a 20 gallon?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #79 
Chesh

I'm a newbie aquarist, so I'm not really the one to answer this question. But from personal experience, I can say that mine lived with a school of neon tetras, who left him entirely alone, and also with a handful of guppies, who also got along fine with him. Hornwort is a great plant to help with cycling, and also grows like a weed, is very inexpensive, and requires very little care (when it gets too long, just snip off the top and you have another bunch of 'new' plants for the tank). My ADF loves it, as did the other little fish that lived in there with him. I even have 2 Mollies and had no trouble with the frog. I think you'd be alright with any peaceful schoolers here. . . hang on for a more expert opinion, of course.

HOWEVER, again in my experience, it can be quite difficult to make sure the frog gets enough food without over feeding the fish! They're slow eaters, and I pretty much feed Speckle by hand most of the time - but even so, it's quite impossible to keep bloodworms or brine shrimp from floating away and into the mouths of other fishies. . . so I'm not sure if a small school of fish would really be a fantastic choice, since they might get too much food, and you'd really HAVE to be very careful to make sure froggy gets enough. Most people say that 'species only' tanks are best, and I can see why now that I've had my frog for a month in the main tank. His 5 gallon tank should arrive any day now, and in the future I may consider a single betta, but it will be SO much easier to keep frogs alone. Another option you might want to consider is getting one of those screened dividers for your tank, either for feeding time, or so that you can have 5-10 gallons for the frog(s) only, and the other side for fishies :) They're about $10 at PetSmart.

Yet another thing to consider is that whenever you get a new creature, it's advised to keep them quarantined for 4-6 weeks so that they don't spread sickness to the rest of the tank. If you don't HAVE a quarrantine tank, it might be a good idea to get all the frogs you want to keep at the same time and from the same tank. . .

But I'm still a total newbie, so I'll be watching to see what our resident expert has to say on this :)

Last edited by Chesh; 03-08-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #80 
Gizmothefreaky

I think it is wonderful what you have chosen to do!

In my own experiance i have done guppies, platies, and neon tetras, as well as bettas with frogs, and when you establish a routine with feeding it becomes really easy to make sure that everyone gets food. I even have them with khuli loaches, and everyone is fat and happy.

However, everyone has their own ways and their own luck. So you need to make your own choices in this. Pretty much any fish that isnt nippy will be good with ADFs, but fish that breed a lot will have their fry eaten, so be warned. XD