Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #21 
Theraggy1

I could be a number of things, the first that comes to my mind is a parasite, since the white thing was hanging off. But then you mentioned fuzzes so then I thought Fungus.

Popeye normally doesn't get fuzzy, but grows large. So I doubt its that, however if it does get larger then the other eye then tell us.

If the AQ salt doesn't clear it up, i'd try a fungus medicine first to see if that will get it gone.
Theraggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #22 
mathkid

To clarify: right now, his only symptom is cloudy eye - no fuzzies, no swelling.
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #23 
callistra

You can't use salt in planted tanks.. just fyi.. will kill plants..

For actual meds look for Kanaplex or Maracyn Plus or if you can't find either look for Furan-2 -or- Maracyn and Maracyn-2 in combo.

Sounds like there may be something in the tank.. doing several large water changes over the course of a week or two will hopefully reduce this bacteria, but if it goes away in qt and keeps coming back each time you add him in spite of the increase in changes it may need to be broken down and sterilized, but hopefully this can be avoided. In the meantime you have the choice of removing and treating 2 weeks of aquarium salts or the meds.

Last edited by callistra; 02-19-2012 at 05:04 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #24 
mathkid

Yeah, I have Maracyn I & II and I have antibiotic flakes (Kanamycin). But I'd rather avoid medicating if possible. I'm wondering if there's bacteria on the tank walls or something? And since he glass surfs so much, it gets on his eyes? ... I have no idea if that's even plausible.

Sigh, back into the QT he goes. I won't take him out early this time, and I'll try doing large water changes in the tank proper during his treatment. Hopefully after the full 10 days, the main tank will be clean enough. If it comes back even after that, I'll go ahead and sterilize.

2/19 - moved to QT. 50% water change with 1tsp/gal AQ salt
Old 02-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #25 
mathkid

Well, he's happily glass surfing and bubble nesting in QT. Left eye looks almost completely clear, right eye still cloudy. Sigh, I wish I could get him to stop glass surfing.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #26 
mathkid

Picture update (hope it's OK to use this thread as a treatment journal). He's on Day 4 of aq salt treatment.

Left eye - almost clear
Right eye - still cloudy
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #27 
mathkid

Well, it's day 10 and he looks pretty much the same as he did on day 4 - left eye clear, right eye still has a smudge of fog. I'll go ahead and take him off salt but leave him in quarantine plus frequent water changes for a while longer. Still eating well, very active. =S
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #28 
mathkid

He's in fresh water in quarantine now. Eye status is the same (left eye clear, right eye has a smudge across the top), but there's been a new development. There are tiny pin-prick holes on his head O_O

Could this be from the salt?? What happened?

Other than the holes, there's no other changes... he still eats well, still very active (but not darting, etc). He hates being floated in his cup for water changes and swims round and round and tries really really hard to swim out the side. I was a little concerned about the areas of less pigment on his face (the lower half + band around his eye), but I looked at old pictures from earlier, and he's always seemed to have those...
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #29 
mathkid

Compare to this pic from Page 2 (Feb 9), which also has the hole... but maybe the loss of color is getting worse?
Attached Images

Tags
eye infection, popeye