Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #1 
bananafish

stupid heater question

Just upgraded Wraith to a 25-watt Hydor Theo submersible heater, from one of those flat plastic credit card-sized doohickeys. He's in a filtered 3-gallon glass tank with a lid.

His tank started at 74 degrees this morning (which is why I upgraded heaters... too cold, I know). I set the control at 81, but in the last 6 hours his water temperature has only risen to 76. I'm worried that if I set it higher, I might inadvertently cook the guy... But five degrees between setting and actual seems like a big discrepancy. The thermometer is a glass one hanging in the opposite corner of the tank.

Any experience with this?
bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #2 
freemike

I'd go ahead and up it slowly hour by hour a degree at a time.
freemike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Heaters are programmed to raise the temp rather slowly. All the heaters I've ever owned have said to wait about 24 hours between touching the thermostat (ie it will take about 24 hours to reach the desired temp). 76F is a much better temp, and he will be fine there for a few hours. I'd give your heater some more time.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

My heaters never make the tank the temperature I set them to. On the thermometer they all read a nice 80F, but I have to set them sometimes to more than 10 degrees on either side of that, especially with the extreme variations in weather we get here.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #5 
bananafish

Thank you guys for the feedback... I'll check in on him in the morning and see how his tank is warming up. I just get nervous, especially since my last boy died in a rather unexplained fashion.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #6 
bananafish

Update

Got in to work today, and the temperature was holding steady at 76 degrees. So I bumped up the heater setting to 85 and now we're sitting at a very steady 78 degrees. Good thing I have a thermometer in there!