Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #1 
RackinRocky

Is he a Veiltail or Halfmoon?

I have a young male I got from a LFS that had his fins chewed down quite a bit. The person who helped me said he could possibly be a HM, but was hard to tell. Well, I rescued him, and his fins are growing back incredibly fast! Its only been 2.5 weeks and they are easily 50% longer. He's approximately 4 months old. I can't figure out how to post pics here, and have dial-up, so it takes FOREVER to download them to Photobucket, etc., so can someone offer me their email so I can email pics to them to see what they think? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks

Randi
RackinRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

How many rays does he have? Two is a VT and 4 or more is a halfmoon or delta.

Halfmoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgIx3gv-L4k

Veil tail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL8AyXQ0JPQ
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Rocky, uploading is easy, even with dialup like I have.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on 'Advanced.' Click on 'Manage Attachments' and 'browse' to your picture.

It doesn't take all that long for one or two pics.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #4 
RackinRocky

Hallyx, thank you SO MUCH! Most sites its difficult to figure out how to post photos, but you're right--this one is easy! Here he is (keep in mind his fins aren't grown back all the way).

OK, I clicked on insert image, and then on one of my attachments (I downloaded two pics) and nothing happened. What did I do wrong?
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #5 
RackinRocky

OK, I see the pictures worked! Yea! Here's a pic of him when I first got him, so you can see how much his fins have grown back.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #6 
Myates

He is a crown tail (CT) or possible combtail depending upon how long his spikes grow out. He may have halfmoon genes which is why his spikes are rather short.. He's looking good now :) Good job in caring for him!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #7 
RackinRocky

Thank you, Myates! The last thing I expected to hear was Crowntail! LOL, they are one of my least favorites. But I did notice those spkes on the ends lately, and wondered about it, but then thought it was probably just the fins growing out. His spikes are probably so short because they aren't fully grown out yet, as his fins were all chewed up and short when I got him just three weeks ago. So they might get longer? Cool! I saw some CTs that I really liked the color of, but didn't buy one because I like the "fuller" look of the VTs and HMs and Deltas. So what do I end up with? A CT! That is too funny! But I love him dearly, and would never get rid of him anyway. Again, thank you! Now I know more what to expect as he continues to grow out.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #8 
tpocicat

It looks as if he is really going to be beautiful (more than he already is) once he's done growing out his fins. Wonderful job you're doing!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #9 
Karebear13

wow its amazing how much his fins grew! Congrats
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #10 
RackinRocky

Tpociat, I'm so proud of him! I never expected his fins to grow back so fast--at first I thought it was my imagination. Thought I'd be waiting many months, so I'm just thrilled. He's such a lover. He does the betta dance for me, and is not skittish at all. Very calm, yet active and curious. Doesn't bother my ghost shrimp at all, so I am planning on getting a few cherry shrimp and hopefully all will go well. If not, the cherry shrimp will go in another tank. Thanks again!