Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #1 
carolinagirl

Tail rot?

Is this tail rot? His fins are starting to look transparent. Ammonia levels have been a bit of an issue (and I'm sure not a surprise either since the tank didn't cycle) and today picked up some Prime. What do y'all think? Thanks
Attached Images

carolinagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #2 
Myates

I don't see it being eaten away.. literally.. as rot tends to do.

A lot of conditioners, Prime included, will turn ammonia into ammonium which is safe for the fish but registers as ammonia when you test it.

What size tank is it, is that a live plant- if so how many do you have, and what is your water change routine- % and siphon schedule, how long has the tank been up and running?

I'm not saying it isn't rot.. but need a little more info to see whether or not we need to tweak something which could reverse the problem (if there is one), or start on treatment.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #3 
carolinagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I don't see it being eaten away.. literally.. as rot tends to do.

A lot of conditioners, Prime included, will turn ammonia into ammonium which is safe for the fish but registers as ammonia when you test it.

What size tank is it, is that a live plant- if so how many do you have, and what is your water change routine- % and siphon schedule, how long has the tank been up and running?

I'm not saying it isn't rot.. but need a little more info to see whether or not we need to tweak something which could reverse the problem (if there is one), or start on treatment.
Hi Myates. Well the Prime was just bought today and I use salts when during a water change and I try to remember to do a water change, at least a 25-30% every week. I have a filter so I think that helps? And this may be funny but I've just discovered siphoning the water out.

I've just finished doing a 100% change cause my toddler put an unknown amount of Prime in the water and the only hint of this was the smell of sulfur. Rinsed everything off and restarted over again. And am I right to believe that Prime can also take the place of a dechlorinator?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #4 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl View Post
Hi Myates. Well the Prime was just bought today and I use salts when during a water change and I try to remember to do a water change, at least a 25-30% every week. I have a filter so I think that helps? And this may be funny but I've just discovered siphoning the water out.

I've just finished doing a 100% change cause my toddler put an unknown amount of Prime in the water and the only hint of this was the smell of sulfur. Rinsed everything off and restarted over again. And am I right to believe that Prime can also take the place of a dechlorinator?
If you are meaning AQ salts, then those should stop immediately.. over exposure to AQ salts can and will lead to liver/kidney problems and failure. Not to mention bacteria (such as the one that is rot) will become resistant to the salts when exposed long term.

All that is needed when doing a water change is a conditioner- and Prime covers all the bases needed- it removes all the dangerous chemicals.

Unsure of the size of tank, it all depends on whether you have live plants (which salt will harm/kill as well.. salt can be a good thing, but yet a bad thing).
The filter doesn't remove waste.. just hides it. We still need to do weekly water changes to clean it properly.

Basing off of your picture I would say once a week 30-40% water change with siphoning twice a month during a water change will be enough to keep the tank clean- as it looks like you have a live plant. This is also assuming the tank is 5g+.. if less let us know since the schedule will be different.

Normally it's hard to over dose on conditioner.. but Prime is pretty concentrated and who knows how much your little one put in lol.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #5 
carolinagirl

Almost forgot!! I have about 8 live plants in his tank.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #6 
carolinagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
If you are meaning AQ salts, then those should stop immediately.. over exposure to AQ salts can and will lead to liver/kidney problems and failure. Not to mention bacteria (such as the one that is rot) will become resistant to the salts when exposed long term.

All that is needed when doing a water change is a conditioner- and Prime covers all the bases needed- it removes all the dangerous chemicals.

Unsure of the size of tank, it all depends on whether you have live plants (which salt will harm/kill as well.. salt can be a good thing, but yet a bad thing).
The filter doesn't remove waste.. just hides it. We still need to do weekly water changes to clean it properly.

Basing off of your picture I would say once a week 30-40% water change with siphoning twice a month during a water change will be enough to keep the tank clean- as it looks like you have a live plant. This is also assuming the tank is 5g+.. if less let us know since the schedule will be different.

Normally it's hard to over dose on conditioner.. but Prime is pretty concentrated and who knows how much your little one put in lol.
Oh dear. Do I need to do another 100% change to get out the AQ salt?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #7 
Myates

I would do small changes over the next 4-8 days of 20-25% and that should clear most of it out (if you rather do another 100%, then you can today or tomorrow.. but wouldn't wait longer then that to do one). Then after that wait a week and start doing weekly 25%s with siphoning twice a month.
The plants will use the waste and any excess food as fertilizer, so you just want to get out any built up. 25% is sufficient amount with live plants.

I would test your water each week at least twice a week once you have done the small changes to remove the AQ salt.. to make sure your cycle wasn't broken during the 100%. If you don't have a test kit, most places like PetCo and Petsmart will test for free.

Since you are using Prime, keep in mind it will change the ammonia into ammonium, which is safe for the fish.. but it registers as ammonia when you test. So I would go ahead and say if the "ammonia" tests for .25ppm and over do a small water change of roughly 10%.. continue checking each week until you feel the cycle is stable- which I would say would be 4-6 weeks at most.
It may not even register any ammonia, in which case then you don't have to worry about the cycle and just keep up on the weekly water changes.

Since you have a fair amount of plants.. after you are secure in that the cycle is stable and back on a routine.. I would check one or two more times right before the weekly water changes and see where the numbers sit. If they are all good then you may be able to lessen the % of water needing to be changed down to 10-15% per week. But would only advise that once you are able to see how the parameters are once back into a normal routine. A good amount of live plants definitely helps to keep the water clean and healthy- you just have to spot clean, which would be the small water change weekly and siphon every other week. One of the benefits to having live plants. :)

As for your guy and rot- keep an eye on his fins. If they seem to get worse, or start flaking off, let us know and we can then give advice for treatment.

Last edited by Myates; 03-02-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #8 
carolinagirl

I'm sure this is a stupid question but here goes. What's the diff between water changes and siphoning? I thought a good way to do a change was to use the siphon but now I'm confused. Still learning the ropes on that. Would you please clue me in?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #9 
ZergyMonster

Water changes usually plays along side with siphoning, siphoning is when you clean the gravel in your tank by using a siphon to pull up the poop and fish food from the bottom. BUT water changes can just be pulling the top water out and putting new water in. That is how they can be different.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #10 
carolinagirl

Oh boy did I over complicate that!!! Lol