Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #1 
BeautifulBetta

Mystery Snail Questions

Hey all,

I know mystery's are okay with bettas, I have 8. BUT. A couple of mine have been acting weird.

I have two in my sorority, and they spent the whole night and part of a day sitting together in one of the mug-caves I have in there...Is it possible that they were doin the dirty? lmao. I have no idea about mystery's. Pond snails I know they reproduce like friggin rabbits, but i wasnt sure about these big gold guys.

Also, can two different colours breed? Might seem like a dumb question lol. I have a gold and a brown in the another tank with no issues. The brown one, Turbo, has become really shy lately and stays near the surface a lot now. Is it possible they're pregnant and ready to lay eggs?
Thanks for any info!
Alora :)
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #2 
Silverfang

It is possible they were matting like little bunnies on you, it's also possible they just wanted a time out from the girls. IF it was day time/ you had the lights on then not surprising, they are nocturnal.

I find that mine come to the surface alot as well, however when ever I notice them they are either going for the floating plants (dear god they love the pennywort!) or they are just sitting at the surface hiding in the shell. Mine do this because the girls are swarming around them and lets face it, hiding for an hour is better than potentially nipped antennae.

Periods of inactivity, especially in the day are normal. Apple snails will lay their eggs above water, but you will notice it. Depending on the species the colour differs, but in most it'll be a pinkish or coral looking colour. IF you want them to hatch then just leave them. Applesnail.net has lots of great info, as well as a discussion board about the cute critters.

With apple snails, apparantly the different species will mate, but the won't successfully breed. Having said that, being a different colour does not mean a different species. Two different coloured snails of the same species will breed, and youll get a variety of offspring, the colours a mix of the parents (I believe ivory is an exception, that this colour is recessive and will get just ivory).

Yep, been researching these alot lately.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #3 
BeautifulBetta

How interesting! Yeah the two in the mug were in the snail all night and part of the day, so no idea what they were doing that night ;) LOL.

I dunno what Turbo does at night, but he's been sitting in the corner near the surface for about 7 hours now, he may just be sleeping. He's in there with 1/4" betta fries so I think he's safe from them. ALTHOUGH I did see one do a full on "sprint" from the opposite end of the tank and ram one of the snails square in the face..That was pretty hysterical.

But i'll definitely keep an eye out for eggs and such. Thanks for your info!! :) I'll be sure to check out that website as well!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #4 
Silverfang

I've never seen any amorous behavior personally, mine would be inclined to crawl over each other for food.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #5 
BeautifulBetta

Its very strange! All the gold ones scavenge all the time, except Turbo..Maybe he's just a weirdo haha