Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #11 
Doris12

yes.. I am looking for a cheaper one... but how much watts should I use for a one gallon fish bowl..? The minimum i saw was 60 watts.. i think its too heavy for my fish bowl.. but other than that i find the heating mats for 4 watts.. can it be used..?
about the fish food.. I got two.. one was the flakes and the other one was instant brine shrimp food.. i give her each once a day...
Doris12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #12 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris12 View Post
yes.. I am looking for a cheaper one... but how much watts should I use for a one gallon fish bowl..? The minimum i saw was 60 watts.. i think its too heavy for my fish bowl.. but other than that i find the heating mats for 4 watts.. can it be used..?
about the fish food.. I got two.. one was the flakes and the other one was instant brine shrimp food.. i give her each once a day...
I wonder if a heater like this would work
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4455060
Haven't tried such a thing, 90% of my bettas have been housed in 2.5 gallon tanks/larger. Spike is in a 5.5 gallon.
60 watts is gonna be MUCH too strong. There are 25 watts out there. There ya go, even better.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub.../dp/B0006JLPG8
Exact brand I am using. and only $20 at that.

As far as your food: brine shrimp should be used as a treat. I give Spike frozen brine shrimp once a week....maybe once every 2 weeks. Most bettas don't like flakes very much. I personally don't like flakes. Some brands, even used properly can cloud the water GREATLY. I used Omega One Betta Buffet. Spike gets 3-4 pellets every morning.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #13 
Doris12

thanks a lot fishy fishy..! that helped me a lot... I think Ill go for the mini size betta bowl heater.. looks compact for my bowl...
ya.. I noticed that she dint like the flakes.. I don't know why the shop keeper suggested that..! she likes eating the brine shrimps..
I heard bettas should be fed with protein rich food often... i saw it in some thread that bettas could be fed with chick peas and frozen shrimps..! is it true...??
Old 03-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #14 
Doris12

oops the reveiw for that heater doesnt look good.. may be i should go for the one that u have..
Old 03-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #15 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris12 View Post
oops the reveiw for that heater doesnt look good.. may be i should go for the one that u have..
90% of the negative reviews are towards the bigger ones, like the 100watts and up. It is alot smaller than it looks. I thought my 50W would be pretty tall, but it is pretty small/fits perfectly in my tank.
here are a coupla links to the one I installed:
http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=22774
http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=22775

EDIT: Here is a youtube review on that hydor heater I linked you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9hy6wpQVok
You can see how small and compact it really is.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #16 
finsNfur

Congrats on the new betta! Just FTR, the OP is in Sweden, so some of the advice like check Petco/Amazon etc. doesn't really work for the OP, other than as a reference guide.

None of my bettas are in a bowl, I've always kept mine in at least 2.5 gallons. However, my son recently had some Triops in a one gallon bowl, and I put a Betta Stik in it. It didn't heat the water very well, I had to keep the bowl half empty in order for it to work. You will just need to shop around for a heater. (also, the first two links the above poster provided do not work for me) Of course your home might be warmer than mine, and a Betta Stik or something similar might work for you.

Sticker thermometers have always been pretty accurate for me, I don't think it would be too far off the mark in a bowl, as long as the sticker is placed low enough to cover the area with water.

One thing the OP hasn't stated yet, is what kind of water conditioner they are using. When adding a fish after a water change/new water, instead of just "dropping" it in (and I don't mean literally dropping it, lol---I don't think that's what bettafishlover meant ) you need to add a water conditioner first to remove chlorine. I assume the water is chlorinated in Sweden? I don't know how the water is treated there, public water suppliers usually treat it with chlorine, but that is very harmful to fish. Also, in the future if you purchase a new fish, you should float the fish in it's bag in the bowl/tank for 15-20 minutes so the water temp will match and not be such a shock to your fish. I'm sure that's what bettafishlover was asking, if you had acclimated the betta first, rather than just "dropping" her in.

Last edited by finsNfur; 03-01-2012 at 05:10 PM.
finsNfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #17 
Doris12

I found a betta stick for 7$.. I think Ill go for it.. the probelm is im not able to get it from ebay or amazon.. says it doesnt ship the product to sweden.. may be ill enquire about it here in a local store n c they if they have one..
haha.. okie.. now I understood what she meant..
I think the water here is actually good.. they are mineralized... I asked about this when i got the fish.. I was told to use the tap water...
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #18 
Bombalurina

Tap water is the right thing to use. However, I would still definitely use a dechlorinator (Prime, by Seachem, if you can get it. They ship out here to Australia, so I'm guessing you may find it in Sweden too). You never know what is in the tap water - for instance, if a dead cat is found in the water, authorities may tip in a load of chlorine or chloramine to detoxify it, and that could kill your fish.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #19 
Doris12

okie.. Ill check about that in the local store....