Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #1 
chris86

10 gallon looking for tank mate

My girlfriend just got a betta named bubba. He is in a 10 gallon tank with heater and filter. The tank has been cycled for about a week now. She has been looking at platies would these be a good tank mate or what would be a good tank mate. He dose not seem that agressave anymore he was flaring at himself in the glass but has stoped doing that and is becoming more active swimmer. He dose sit down by his favorite pink plant in the front corner of the tank and watches tv from there when its on. Here are a few pictures of him and his home.
Attached Images

chris86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hi! Welcome to the forums! It's so nice that you got your lovely fish such a great home. :3
I wouldnt add anymore tank mates until it is 100% cycled, as betta are hardy, while their tank mates tend to not be. Take some water from your tank to a pet/fish store- most will test your water for free. Or get a test kit yourself. Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite should be tested. Also testing hardness and pH is a good idea.
I don't know much about platies other than they are live bearers and breed like crazy.
A nerite/zebra/mystery snail, ghost or cherry or amano shrimp are good starters.
Some other fish are kuhli loaches, corydoras catfish, ember tetras. These are schooling fish, so 6-7 of them would be a good number to have.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #3 
chris86

Right now Ammonia is .50 nitrate is 0 and nitrite I don't remember and ph is 8. something I tested all 4 of them this afternoon water is 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Not adding anymore till the cycle is done just trying to get a idea what we can put in with bubba. I have pretty much taken over all the work and she picks out what she wants in his home
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ah, I have the high pH problem too. Ember tetra and kuhli loaches won't work.
I'm getting a 10 gallon soon, and I'm either going to do spotted cories, which are very tolerant, or xray tetra. Cories will do best in sand, but should be okay in smooth gravel. They have funny personalities too. I believe x ray tetra are only tolerant to 7.5pH though (it's a huge difference really).
Spotted cories are good at 8.0 however, I'm sure there's a few more that will do well.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Just want to say, if you have 0.5 ammonia and no nitrate, your tank is definitely not cycled - in fact, it is still in the first stage of cycling. You will know that the cycle is complete when you get readings of 0 for ammonia and nitrites and a small amount of nitrates, <20ppm. You are looking at another month at least before your cycle is finished and the tank is ready for more inhabitants.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

He already said he's waiting till the cycle is done :D
You'll be needing to do a lot of water changes as to not poison your betta.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris86 View Post
The tank has been cycled for about a week now.
I was just responding to that bit. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #8 
chris86

Ok I took bubba out of the tank and got some stuff to speed up the cycling Ammonia 0, nitrate 0 and nitrite 20 now. So we put bubba back in it but also got 2 platies (the twins) and a swordtail (swordz). I want to know what you all think about how there acting if you think its going to work. Bubba still acts like him self fast swimmer dont bother anything just hangs out in his to two spots.

Now this is what im wondering about if he comes face to face with swordz he he will flar at him but swordz runs away and thats the end to it no chassing. If any one is in his two spots he flars at them and they run away and that the end of it no chasing and no one is nipping one another. Would you say all 4 of them are going to live happy.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd return the swordtail. They get pretty big for a ten gallon and they like to be kept in groups.
You can get 1-2 more platties instead of the sword though. Platties come in several colours so you can have some variety.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #10 
chris86

here are some pictures of them one is hides from the camora so its a little blary.
Attached Images