Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #11 
stevenjohn21

[quote=Shirleythebetta;1003123T hey can get as big as 6 inches. They are also mostly recommended for 20 gallon tanks and brackish water.[/quote]

6" Holy Moly ! You must of had a monster Molly !!! I wouldntt recommend putting a 6" fish into a 20 gallon tank IMO
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #12 
ladayen

It almost looks like some kind of killifish. You'd think a molly that skinny wouldn't be alive.
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #13 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladayen View Post
It almost looks like some kind of killifish. You'd think a molly that skinny wouldn't be alive.
fins and colors don't match up
but I only googled images of them...
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #14 
MistersMom

No, it's a molly, there arent any Dalmatian Killifish. :/
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If you don't have room, I'd probably post an add looking for someone knowledgable to take him/her. Mollies produce tons of ammonia and that poor thing has probably been seriously affected by this. Let her heal some more and rehome her.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #16 
Chesh

AWW! Poor thing... SHAME on that woman! Definitely looks like a molly to me. I don't know much yet, but I love my little mollies! I actually have a couple of dalmatians and they look quite a bit like that little guy (though agree with the others that yours is super thin). Mollies are tough little critters! S/he WILL need a bigger space than a betta, yes (they have a higher bioload than many fish), but before you decide to toss him into a pond look closely at what's left of his topfin, and compare it with some images online. There are several different types of mollies that can carry the 'dalmatian' coloring, and the Sailfin mollies are the largest. Some types only get to be around 3 inches. Still a big fish, yes, but not pond material! Also. . . a lot depends on his personality. MY mollies are NOT aggressive AT ALL and have been just fine in a community tank with various room-mates, including guppies, goldfish, pleco, neon tetras, apple snails, and an African dwarf frog, so once you're sure that he's disease-free, you might want to give it a try with some beta room-mates adn see how it goes! Also, and I *might* be wrong about this, but I don't think that Mollies are schooling fish. I think they do fine on their own, but are more playful in company. Again, new at this and might be wrong. . . I AM sure that if you had more than one sex you'd have to keep the 2/3 female for every 1 male ratio. I really hope you find a way to take care of this poor little fish, and that he makes it through this ordeal. Mollies are charming little fish. . . What a wretched woman! Ug! Good luck!

Last edited by Chesh; 03-04-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #17 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
6" Holy Moly ! You must of had a monster Molly !!! I wouldntt recommend putting a 6" fish into a 20 gallon tank IMO
I never owned one that big mine was only 3ish from head to tail. In rare cases they do go to six inches and shockingly enough, most people recommend 20 gallons at minimum for I think three. I have seen some as big as 6 inches at Jack's Aquarium they were awesome.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #18 
Chesh

There! Dalmation Molly! MAX size on this guy should be 4 inches, and he's VERY nice! If you lived near me, I'd try to help yours out :(
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #19 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
AWW! Poor thing... SHAME on that woman! Definitely looks like a molly to me. I don't know much yet, but I love my little mollies! I actually have a couple of dalmatians and they look quite a bit like that little guy (though agree with the others that yours is super thin). Mollies are tough little critters! S/he WILL need a bigger space than a betta, yes (they have a higher bioload than many fish), but before you decide to toss him into a pond look closely at what's left of his topfin, and compare it with some images online. There are several different types of mollies that can carry the 'dalmatian' coloring, and the Sailfin mollies are the largest. Some types only get to be around 3 inches. Still a big fish, yes, but not pond material! Also. . . a lot depends on his personality. MY mollies are NOT aggressive AT ALL and have been just fine in a community tank with various room-mates, including guppies, goldfish, pleco, neon tetras, apple snails, and an African dwarf frog, so once you're sure that he's disease-free, you might want to give it a try with some beta room-mates adn see how it goes! Also, and I *might* be wrong about this, but I don't think that Mollies are schooling fish. I think they do fine on their own, but are more playful in company. Again, new at this and might be wrong. . . I AM sure that if you had more than one sex you'd have to keep the 2/3 female for every 1 male ratio. I really hope you find a way to take care of this poor little fish, and that he makes it through this ordeal. Mollies are charming little fish. . . What a wretched woman! Ug! Good luck!
I did a little research about the hole schooling thing after reading this and I tend to like your opinion. There are many differing opinions on molly's. Some say they are schooling fish and some say they are shoaling fish (like thier kind for social reasons only) I don't know though. My molly's are around each other a lot and rarely let eachother out of sight. I guess on schooling or shoaling or a loner fish you have to base it off of experience and what you believe. Great information.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #20 
Shirleythebetta

Here's a Molly fact sheet posted to a betta site that addresses their size capability and what they are compatible with.
http://www.bettatrading.com.au/Molly-Fact-Sheet.php