Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #1 
freemike

Maracyn Plus

So I had a scare this morning. I was running late to work doh. I always check my fish no matter what though every morning they get a look over to see what's going on with them. Well I admit I was rushed this morning and quickly looked over the boys. Mystic wouldn't get out of the corner making his neck look blew up. I thought the worst of it and did some research on medications.

Anyways I found this Maracyn Plus and did some research on it. This stuff looks like the closes thing to a cure all that I have found. I haven't been able to find a bad review on it in fact. I'm just curious if anyone else has experience or would recommend having this on hand for those times medication is needed.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #2 
afishpond

its great i like i also keep melafix it works great to.
afishpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden

I don't like keeping antibiotics on hand because they have a rather limited shelf life. The only fish medicine I keep on hand is AQ salt. Unless you are a long drive away from a petstore with a good medicinal cabinet, I see no reason to keep things on hand.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #4 
freemike

I see your point about the limited shelf life. I found a place to get it cheap so I'll probably keep it around just in case. I also have friends that have fish so I could always help them out. None of the stores around here stock any of the good antibiotics. Everything would have to be shipped in that is what got me to thinking about having something on hand.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I can understand why you want to keep it around if good antibiotics are a long drive away. Just be careful about preventative doses as it can create antibiotic resistant strains. Only use antibiotics when needed.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #6 
freemike

Yeah I wasn't going to use it unless something arose that called for it. Definitely hate people that treat antibiotics like candy. I swear I know people that if they get a sniffle they demand to be put on an antibiotic. I could see them "treating" the water with antibiotics lol. I thought he was showing signs of dropsy. So I was thinking all day that he would surely die by the time the antibiotics got to my door; as I didn't have money to splurge for express shipping. Do you think it would help if I refrigerated the antibiotics?

Last edited by freemike; 03-05-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #7 
BetaBlaze

My Betta had a bad case of what seemed to be fin-rot. Although he was also very inactive and losing color. I used the original Maracyn (I didnt know about Maracyn Plus at the time), and he briefly got better. When he started showing similar symptoms again, I tried API's Bettafix, and it seemed to work quite well. He is currently happy and healthy and his fins are continuing to grow back. Just thought I'd share this, because API products have always been effective and helpful for me.
BetaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #8 
thekoimaiden

I don't know about the refrigerating. I guess it makes sense because some human antibiotics are refrigerated, but I bet it depends on the antibiotic being used.