Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #31 
tpocicat

I like to give them a variety depending on their size. Do what works best for you. ;)
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #32 
asianleful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
I like to give them a variety depending on their size. Do what works best for you. ;)
Sounds good :) I also noticed you are a member of IBC? Do you have to pay fees to become a member?
asianleful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #33 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you do. tpocicat will fill you in with the info. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #34 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I love constructive debates like this because it makes you think and try to find what best works for you.

I agree that wormy food including microworms are fatty and will result in more .... dirty (can't think of a better word)... contamination of water (Though they sometimes don't show). Thus you should do more wc to avoid missing ventrals or other undesired deformities. Nevertheless I also believe that fatty food during growth will boost the growth rate thus is good for fry. But there is a limit - once they're done growing, you should reduce fatty food.

BBS is better if you're breeding for fin form. Fry should grow slower, but their fins should develop earlier and better. Yes they may cause SBD .... which MrV have seem to solved (higher temp). Perhaps the main key to using BBS is rinsing them before feeding and not having any egg shell fed to fry.

IMO SBD and other diseases are water related. I use live tubifex and add daphnia every 2 days. My fry are most often feeding at the floor. If there's a balance in the tank, between fry, water mites (?), snails and bloodworm, SBD won't occur. But if it's unbalanced (little to no clean up crew) SBD will occur regardless what I feed. I haven't experienced missing ventrals though I don't clean the floor where they feed. But I often have shorter but wider ventrals .... something I've never understood.

In my country MW is something new and seldom used. Most breeders use BBS to later feed daphnia and ML until they're adult size. Only then will they (if ever) feed other food such as frozen BW or man made pellets.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #35 
tpocicat

It costs $14 for a junior membership for a year, $20 for individual, and they also have memberships for families, but I don't know how much that is.
Right now the web site is down for a rebuild, but you can still search for information on International Betta Congress for more info. It's a wonderful organization for serious breeders and those that just love bettas.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote