Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #1 
ravensgate

Best thing for torn fins?

Long story REAL short, the guy unpacking the bettas at Walmart told my mother that yes indeed, she could keep female bettas together in a ONE GALLON. So that afternoon I acquired 3 beat all to heck females. They seem to be ok otherwise, they were only in together for about 3 minutes according to my mother but they have some shredded fins. I have stress coated the heck out of them and have some Indian Almond leaves on order. As soon as they arrived they received a salt bath with a few drops of Bettafix before they went into their new, individual homes. Are there any other products good for repair? Some seem to be starting some regrowth though it seems slow. Does is take a long time for them to fill in their fins again? Any advice greatly appreciated.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Usually with an already healthy Betta....getting the torn fins healed up and growing just takes time, clean water and good nutrition.....

Since you have them in their own containers-I would do daily 50% water changes for 6 days-then 100% on day 7-then re-eval.... to either start their regular schedule water changes or continue/change treatment. You want to limit or no water movement and feed good quality varied diet in small frequent meals-watch for secondary infection since they have a break in the skin.....

You should start to see new growth and healing within days-full re-growth can take weeks to months-based on how bad the damage, age of fish, genetic, overall general health, stress level and nutrition......

I have found getting the females healed up and full fin regrowth to be much faster than the long fin males...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #3 
ravensgate

Thank you so much again OFL! Great post and very informative. I guess I'm already behind on the water changes, I got them on Thursday, did about a 30-50% water change on all of them yesterday. I'll try to get on top of those changes and do them every day probably until this weekend and see if they can go on a regular scheduel
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

To add to OFL - I would also not bother with the Bettafix. I will freely admit I am predjudiced against the stuff, but I honestly don't feel it does anything and if you accidentally overdose it can be fatal.
My only suggestion is to raise the temperature to 82-84F for a week. It will speed the healing process up a bit. :)

I would always rather rely on warmth and clean water (the natural remedies!) with a bit of IAL than any medication, except where meds are obviously needed. For fin repair, clean warm water is all you need. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote