Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #1 
dmuddle

Question Need Ideas

I am planning on getting a betta fish. what colours are the best, and there is a big question I want to know. Can bettas be kept in a community tank with gouramis, plecos and corys???
dmuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #2 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuddle View Post
I am planning on getting a betta fish. what colours are the best, and there is a big question I want to know. Can bettas be kept in a community tank with gouramis, plecos and corys???
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I would say that the colors really depend on your own personal preference. It isn't a written script saying that these are the best colors or anything, though the most popular colors would be bright ones like reds, turquoise, royal blue, marbles, ect.

Bettas can be kept in a community tank, though what tends to happen is it is either or. All bettas have completely different personalities than their fellow "friends." some bettas do well in a community tank as many others don't for reasons being that some are too aggressive or are so docile they are being picked on by the fish that are usually picked in.

I would recommend absolutely no kind of long bright finned fish as they will see them as another betta. Some bettas can tolerate this, but as I said before many cannot.

Just to answer your question, bettas can be kept with corys, but I wouldn't recommend them being with plecos as plecos will eat anything that fits in their mouths even though they usually stay as bottom feeders. As for gouramis, it really depends on the kind of gourami.

Blue gouramis can get up to 7" and neon gouramis may be too bright and colorful for a betta to set its intentions on killing the fish or vice versa. Usually gouramis are nippers and tend to peck at the other fish smaller than it. A betta is smaller than a gourami so I would say no to the gourami. I have kept female bettas with gouramis, tetras, and other fancy tail guppies successfully. Though this isn't recommended as beginners with the species can have a great deal of trouble with sororities.

So for my answer to be summed up,
Gouramis- No
Pleco- No (usually depending in size of the Pleco)
Corys- Yes

Good luck!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

I would agree. Cories are fine, gouramis are not. Something like a bristlenose pleco would be fine (in a 20 gallon tank or larger) as their mouths are not large enough to fit a betta, but not a common pleco.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote