Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 
dmuddle

Female bettas in community

I have seen female bettas with gouramis at a pet store and the didnt coincide. Will they kill each other in a community tank? is it possible for the species to breed with each other because they are both anabantoids?? I am meagly curious and want to explore
dmuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuddle View Post
I have seen female bettas with gouramis at a pet store and the didnt coincide. Will they kill each other in a community tank? is it possible for the species to breed with each other because they are both anabantoids?? I am meagly curious and want to explore

It is best NOT to keep these two species together, they are both HIGHLY aggressive, while some members HAVE been able to, it is NOT reccomended since more than likely you will end up with one or the other either gravely injured or dead
Females CAN live with other females in at LEAST a ten gallon provided 6 females are in the tank (to spread aggression, and even then, some never are able to live together)
A female CAN live in a community tank (every betta is different though)

They can not cross breed, and they really should not be housed together
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

They probably didn't fight at the petshop because they were stressed out of their poor little brains. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

My LFS does this too. I'm going go say something next time I'm there.
The only combo I'd ever try would be female betta and a honey gourami, in at least 20gal. They are the most peaceful gourami, but it's still a longshot.
The biggest problem I'd see is since they're both air breathers, the gourami might decide to chase the betta away from the surface, which would eventually cause a betta to suffocate. Hence why a smaller tank is a bad idea, less surface area..
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #5 
Silverfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
They probably didn't fight at the petshop because they were stressed out of their poor little brains. :(
This happens all the time at one pet shop (well the RARE time they have females). And the girls are super stessed, clamped, striped, and often sickly.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #6 
twinjupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuddle View Post
I have four female bettas in my community tank with three female blue gouramis. My Gouramis bicker amongst themselves, and occasionally chase the females, but they are in a heavily planted 55gal with other fish. I don't recommend mixing the gouramis and bettas unless you have a large enough tank with lots of cover.
twinjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote