Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #1 
7trystan7

Question ?!?filter?!?

Okay guys I really need your help on this one. I recentley purchased my first betta fish and I did everything I could possibly think of to make its life perfect. I bought a 10 gallon tank, heater, filter, substrate, 2 fake plants, and a ceramic pot (don't worry neither the pot or the fake plants could hurt the betta in any way ). The tank is always at around 80-82 degrees Farenheight and his water quality and food are perfect but he is acting funny. He will lay on the bottom of the tank or just sulk in the corner by the pot and he always seems unbalanced. I heard this is because I might be overfeeding him (I've been putting more food than necessarry in the tank because I haven't seen him eat much and I don't want him to die) but I've noticed it seems like the filter is blowing him around and making it hard for him to swim. My dad told me the filter couldn't hurt him and he's fine but I just want to make sure. He seems off balance and struggling to swim and the filter seems to create a current that causes this. Any ways please help! My brand new red double tail halfmoon would appreciate it!
7trystan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #2 
bankruptjojo

first off all my bettas eat right away so if he isnt paying attention dont feed him it will just fall to the bottom where he cant get it. from what iv read people have had sick bettas that havnt ate for weeks so you should be ok for awhile. i feed my bettas bio gold 2 pellets in morning and 1 at night also i dont feed them at all one day a week. i use aqua clear filters they have adjustable flow. i buy fake plants with a suction cup to stick to the glass right under the filter that will slow the water down. also if you dont have your tank cycled you should read up on it.
bankruptjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #3 
Myates

Filters need to be adjustable, and if not, then baffled when it comes to housing long finned males. The filter can easily stress him out and cause him to have difficulties in swimming.. making his fins feel heavy and drag him around. He may end up biting off his fins if he feels too much stress from it.

To baffle the filter, buy an aquarium sponge and cut it to fit into the outflow of the filter- you can keep it snuggled in there tightly using a clean/new rubber band fixed around it to keep it from being pushed out.

In a 10 gallon, he may need/want more plants to feel more secure and not so exposed.. bettas are used to very very small places before they are purchased and brought home- so a large tank can be stressful at first.

What are you trying to feed him? It can make a difference to some picky bettas.

Healthy bettas can live weeks without food.. and newly purchased bettas can take days to a week+ before they eat healthy.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote