Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #11 
Pitluvs

Gotta ditto all that's said so far, any type of Goldfish you are looking at a 30g (and two fish) minimum :) Depending on the type, you could possibly be looking at a pond for a proper home :)

You could also divide into two and save two more Bettas from horrible pet store conditions!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Goldfish and betta are the most misunderstood fish :/
I agree, 5 gallons can only hold a betta, or 2 betta with a divider.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Goldfish and betta are the most misunderstood fish :/
I agree, 5 gallons can only hold a betta, or 2 betta with a divider.
So so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipPhish View Post
There are always those small feeder gold fishies. They aren't real gold fish, but they are colorful and quite neat to watch. You could probably keep a few in a 5 gallon.
Those are called Rosy red minnows. They don't get as large as goldfish, but they still need a larger tank than a 10 gal. They are also a schooling fish. They can be used a pond fish.

Everyone is right. A 5 gal is too small for goldfish. Mine can't even fit in a 5 gal anymore and my koi are getting as large as my arm. If you want a golden colored fish you could try to find a golden betta. I've seen a few before. One would fit nicely in a 5 gal and would look stunning against a black background.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #14 
makoisland

Thanks everyone! I'm still a bit confused though-- people have been having goldfish in bowls and small tanks for years. Does getting a few fish from the petstore really run a risk of them getting huge?
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They are supposed to be huge lol. I have no idea where the goldfish myth started. If they didn't grow it's because they are being stunted- not healthy. It'd be like wearing size 5 shoes your whole life to keep your feet from growing.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #16 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoisland View Post
Thanks everyone! I'm still a bit confused though-- people have been having goldfish in bowls and small tanks for years. Does getting a few fish from the petstore really run a risk of them getting huge?
They are biologically programmed to get that large, but due to improper care most of them don't. The myth that goldfish can live in bowls came about because they are hardy enough to survive in bowls for much longer than other fish. However, they become stunted (organs keep growing but muscles and skin stop) and die before their time often due to ammonia poisoning. A well cared for goldfish will live as long as 20 years. Koi can live even longer.

Here is a video of the world's largest goldfish. It's almost as big as a house cat.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ed7B6ug-wk"]World's BIGGEST Goldfish? - YouTube[/ame]
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #17 
MandiceP

As a child I was given two comet goldfish in a 1 gallon bowl. We eventually upgraded them to a 5 gallon tank and the fish lived for 3 years. I was so proud of myself because I thought this was ancient for a goldfish... However many years later when I found out how big they are supposed to get and how long they are capable of living I felt horrible. Believe me. They may "do okay" in a small tank for a while but it eventually will make them suffer and also die prematurely so it is not recommended. The theory behind them being able to live in small containers has given them a horribly misunderstood reputation and unfortunately has made them suffer through all sorts of horrible situations... carnival prizes... wedding centerpieces... bettas too. Whoever said it first was right, they are the two most misunderstood species of fish ever!
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #18 
Bombalurina

Precisely.

The "goldfish only grow to the size of their tank" rule really annoys me. It is partially correct: in a small space, ammonia builds up more quickly, so the goldfish suffer from cruelly stunted growth, whilst in a bigger space, the ammonia is more diluted so the goldfish have a chance to grow bigger. However, it isn't tank size that ultimately determines it - it's how much ammonia is in the water. It just so happens that smaller tanks get filthier more quickly.

An example: due to petshop misguidance (we've all been there...sigh) we started off with two goldies in a 10 litre (2.5 gallon tank). Both were comets. We upgraded them to a 15 litre (3 gallon) because they kept growing. Eventually, the three of them ended up in our current 23 gallon. Two died and my sister's youngest one was the only one remaining. Now, his growth is, sadly, irreversibly stunted and his lifespan shortened by our earlier treatment of him. :( After I researched on fish and found some things out, the tank has stayed a little cleaner due in part to my nagging, and he has still hit ten inches because the water is just about clean enough. If we had him in a pond from day one (he is moving to a pond when this flooding stops) he would probably be a good foot long by now.
But as you can see from my example (or ramble), it is water quality that determines size. If you kept the water in a one gallon bowl clean enough (very difficult), the goldfish would grow until his face and tail touched the edges of the bowl. Keep him in a 50 gallon tank with no filter that is never ever cleaned, and he won't grow big at all.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #19 
makoisland

Thanks for the information everyone, I think I'll set up a different kind of aquarium instead.
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #20 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
The general rule is 20 gallons for 1 fancy goldfish, then 10 gallons for each additional one. So for 3 youd need 40 gallons. The minimum would be 30 gallons since you need at least 2 :/
Yes it's a lot of room, but they've been bred for centuries to live in ponds, not gold fish bowls, so it makes sense. A goldfish is basically a mini carp.
Good thing to say in this type of post ^_^
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote