Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #1 
LostInLife9186

New Betta Fish May Have Fungus

I've had my Betta fish for about four days. I got him on Thursday at a local pet store who had them in these tiny bowls. I currently have him in a vase, but it is not even one gallon (I'm sorry, I was under the misconception that Betta's are fine living in these things.)
He was fine the first couple of days, but then he slowly started to swim less frequently. Last night I noticed that all the food I've been giving him had sunk to the bottom on was just laying on top of the decorations I have in the cage (blue and green glass stones). So, I changed the water. I have distilled water from the store, but I washed the tank and stones off with tap water. He was swimming around in the holding tank just fine, and he seemed to be more active then he had been.
But then, when I woke up this morning he was laying on his side in the bottom of the tank. I just noticed this white, fluffy looking stuff growing on his stomach and into his tail. Anywhere the white stuff touches, the scales are discolored.
I've read that their water needs to be around 72 degrees, and I can assure you mine is not. I would say more like in the 50's. I also believe I've been overfeeding him (actually, I'm very sure of it. About 2 flakes a day, but then when I was giving him some Saturday night I accidentally threw about 5 or so pieces in there.)
Also, I feed him TetraMin Plus (it's what the guy at the store gave me.) They're flakes.
I think that is everything I can say about him, I hope someone can help me.
LostInLife9186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #2 
Tobythefish

Try and get a 2.5 gallon with an adjustable heater, the hydor theo is wonderful and only $20 on amazon.com. Bettas need to be kept at 76-82 fegrees and fare much better at 78-80. NLS Betta Formula is very good, my fish love it and today Ares ate two of the pellets right off my finger, he seriously jumped out of the water and grabbed it right off my finger. Feed your fish 2 meals a day, 3 pellets each time if you buy NLS Betta Formula. I got a 2.5 gallon tank at petsmart for $13, and it came with a lid too, the hydor heater for $20 at amazon, and NLS Betta Formula for $10 at amazon. If you buy more than $25 at amazon you get free shipping too. You should get API Stress coat from amazon too for $10. That is a total of $53, and the fish will be very happy. Never use distilled water, it is very bad for bettas. Use tap water. Tap water has chlorine in it which can harm a betta, but the api stress coat neutralizes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. In a two gallon tank you will have to do two water changes a week, one 50% and one 100%. If you do what I suggested your fish should get a lot happier. I can't help with the white stuff, someone else will have to help there, but if you don't warm him up he will get very sick and die quickly. Also buy a thermometer for your tank, they're three dollars. Don't feel bad about not knowing how to take care of your betta, many people don't know how either, and you wanted to help your little guy which is very good. The new setup I reccomended will make him a lot better probably. Good luck!
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #3 
LostInLife9186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobythefish View Post
Try and get a 2.5 gallon with an adjustable heater, the hydor theo is wonderful and only $20 on amazon.com. Bettas need to be kept at 76-82 fegrees and fare much better at 78-80. NLS Betta Formula is very good, my fish love it and today Ares ate two of the pellets right off my finger, he seriously jumped out of the water and grabbed it right off my finger. Feed your fish 2 meals a day, 3 pellets each time if you buy NLS Betta Formula. I got a 2.5 gallon tank at petsmart for $13, and it came with a lid too, the hydor heater for $20 at amazon, and NLS Betta Formula for $10 at amazon. If you buy more than $25 at amazon you get free shipping too. You should get API Stress coat from amazon too for $10. That is a total of $53, and the fish will be very happy. Never use distilled water, it is very bad for bettas. Use tap water. Tap water has chlorine in it which can harm a betta, but the api stress coat neutralizes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. In a two gallon tank you will have to do two water changes a week, one 50% and one 100%. If you do what I suggested your fish should get a lot happier. I can't help with the white stuff, someone else will have to help there, but if you don't warm him up he will get very sick and die quickly. Also buy a thermometer for your tank, they're three dollars. Don't feel bad about not knowing how to take care of your betta, many people don't know how either, and you wanted to help your little guy which is very good. The new setup I reccomended will make him a lot better probably. Good luck!
Thank you for all the advice. The Betta unfortunately died while I was waiting for someone to come home. But, I will remember everything you said and if I decide to get another Betta, I will definitely hold off until I have the above mentioned supplies.
LostInLife9186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #4 
Tobythefish

I'm sorry about the betta.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #5 
BETTACHKALOVE

sorry about your betta:( If you will decide to get another betta you will need to disinfect the tank . Let us know if you need instructions on that.

Also like Tobythefish wrote Tap water with dechlorinator is the best for bettas. For dechlorinator i love stress coat API, PRIME by Seachem.

Sorry for bad experience but we all learn hard way a lot of the time :( I hope you will rescue another one :)
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #6 
Aus

Quote:
(I'm sorry, I was under the misconception that Betta's are fine living in these things.)
So was I. Luckily, Sid is tough and I found the proper information before it was too late.

It's not your fault you were misinformed by the store and you came looking for help when things went wrong, which is a lot more than what many other people do.

Don't be discouraged. Once you have the things a betta needs to be healthy, try again. They are wonderful little souls, and keeping them is very rewarding, especially when they're happy and their personalities can shine.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote