Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #1 
GeorgiaPeach

Question?

Why would the nitrate level stay at 30-40ppm even after water changes?
GeorgiaPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

That depends.....what kind of testing products are you using, tank size, how long has the tank been running, what is the stocking, type of filter, how do you maintain the filter media, type of additives used, what kind of substrate, how deep, how often do you vacuum the substrate, how much and how often are the water changes, any live plants......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #3 
GeorgiaPeach

The testing products I am using is API master test kit, tank size is 6.6 gallons, been running for 2 weeks, 1 betta, cartridge filter, rinse the filter media in old tank water, prime and aqueon plant food is what I use, gravel as substrate, 10 inches deep, twice a week I vaccum, 25% water changes on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays, I have 8 live plants Java fern, penny wort, and Anatharis one fluval moss ball
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #4 
Waylander

Hmm
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I hope that was a typo on the substrate and its 1 inch not 10 inches....anyway....most likely the nitrate is due to the plant food......how often are you adding the plant food and are you testing the water right after a water change and adding the plant ferts......

On the nitrate #2 reagent-be sure and shake, bang on the table and shake some more...it tend to settle and can cause skewed reading-also, be sure and follow the directions to the "T" with the nitrate test-especially with the shaking between adding the 2 reagents and reading results....a high user error on the nitrate.....

Also, test your source water nitrate before any additives to make sure you don't have nitrate in the source water....

You are changing the water too much-In a 6.6gal filtered with live plants....I would only change the water 25-50% once a week with light vacuum in all places that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots
Filter media-rinse/swish in the bucket of old tank water a couple of times a month....
Only use the plant food after a water change to remove any unused ferts to help prevent algae from using it

Plants growing okay, thriving...etc.....

What kind of lights-age of bubs, kelvin, watts and photoperiod....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #6 
GeorgiaPeach

That was an error about the substrate. The lights are brand new 15 watts 5500k, plants are doing well, the directions on the bottle says to add 2.5mg of plant food once a week, I have been following the nitrate directions on the bottle to the "T". The source water is spring water. The betta is doing great, but have been treating for cloudy eye and has been clearing up