Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #21 
Kiere

It is ok I knew what his chances were when I figured out what he had...

I too read about using the pp as a dip with the plants. The one problem is apparently PP melts Vals and I do have some. I was thinking of adding PP to the tank (since it is empty) let it run for a day and then do a water change... but that might be a really bad idea too...

My tank is just a 1.5 gallon I had it as close to cycling as I could with the live plants and filter but still did a vacuum and 25-50% water change 2x weekly at OFL advice. But apparently I should have been testing my water parameters more often because I obviously wasn't doing enough in regards to my water quality.

I will do what I have to get the tank ready so it doesn't happen to another fish.
Kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #22 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiere View Post
It is ok I knew what his chances were when I figured out what he had...

I too read about using the pp as a dip with the plants. The one problem is apparently PP melts Vals and I do have some. I was thinking of adding PP to the tank (since it is empty) let it run for a day and then do a water change... but that might be a really bad idea too...

My tank is just a 1.5 gallon I had it as close to cycling as I could with the live plants and filter but still did a vacuum and 25-50% water change 2x weekly at OFL advice. But apparently I should have been testing my water parameters more often because I obviously wasn't doing enough in regards to my water quality.

I will do what I have to get the tank ready so it doesn't happen to another fish.
Every tank is different... it really just depends how much ammonia your plants are managing to soak up. It's okay- no one could possibly say you didn't care and weren't trying. People with perfectly clean water still can have fish affected by columnaris... it's just so contagious.

If the plants are out of the tank, I see no problem with running PP through it for a day or two. The stuff IS neutralized by water conditioner, and in what I've read in threads on other forums, people aren't as worried about remnants of PP as compared to bleach. Run it through, then rinse everything extremely well. Take the carbon cartridge out of your filter (and replace the cartridge after all is said and done- one of the few times you'll EVER hear me say that, haha). Perhaps your vals would be better suited for a brief bleach bath?
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #23 
Tikibirds

Awwwh :( Columnaris is nasty, I lost several females to it a few months ago
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote