Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #1 
johnny151

How do you introduce new food to a Betta? what foods do they like?

My Betta likes his pellets, but I also understand they like other foods. I brought him freeze dried blood worms and tried sneaking one or two in with his pellet food, while i just put one pellet. He doesn't go anywhere near them. As a matter of fact he doesn't even bother. I tried putting more in and I've literally only seen him dab one bloodworm and he spit it up. But he eats his pellets fine.

Did I introduce the worms incorrectly to him?
What are some other foods I can give him as a treat besides pellets. I know about peas? but how often?
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #2 
Myates

Giving them new food can be a challenge.. trust me I know lol.. I have a wide range of food from pellets, live, home made, flakes, freeze dried, and on and on. And I have some very picky eaters.. one of them will only eat pellets. May be because he's a couple years old and is just too stubborn.. and I have some that will eat anything that lands in the water.

You may want to try to play up his natural predator instinct with the worms- I like to use tweezers and grasp barely just one end and let the other end of the worm (or insect) barely dangle in the water- since the worms aren't live you will have to move it gently to it simulates a bug at the surface.
If he falls for it then you can have fun with it.. such as make him jump out of the water for it, or even learn to go through hoops lol. Just be warned, once he starts jumping for food, he may always try to do that when you go to feed him, regardless what you are feeding.

Also, that morning don't feed them (assuming you are properly feeding at least 2x a day).. make him a little hungry. Don't give him a pellet, just offer the worm and see how he does. I wouldn't put more in there if he isn't eating the one.. if you do, remove them shortly after attempting to feed so they won't decay in the tank and foul up the water.

Peas are not to be fed on a regular basis- the betta's short GI tracts and the fact they are insectivore/carnivores means the pea will do nothing for him but give him empty calories and carbs (the same they do for us). They should not be fed on a regular basis.. no nutritional value to them and not a treat as it's nothing like their natural food.

You can give live foods- place a bucket of water outside, toss in some leaves and a little bit of dirt and wait- daphnia will breed all year round, and mosquito will breed in the stagnant water. Just use a shrimp net or a small fish net to collect the larvae, rinse in gentle tap water and feed!

Last edited by Myates; 03-07-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #3 
johnny151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Giving them new food can be a challenge.. trust me I know lol.. I have a wide range of food from pellets, live, home made, flakes, freeze dried, and on and on. And I have some very picky eaters.. one of them will only eat pellets. May be because he's a couple years old and is just too stubborn.. and I have some that will eat anything that lands in the water.

You may want to try to play up his natural predator instinct with the worms- I like to use tweezers and grasp barely just one end and let the other end of the worm (or insect) barely dangle in the water- since the worms aren't live you will have to move it gently to it simulates a bug at the surface.
If he falls for it then you can have fun with it.. such as make him jump out of the water for it, or even learn to go through hoops lol. Just be warned, once he starts jumping for food, he may always try to do that when you go to feed him, regardless what you are feeding.

Also, that morning don't feed them (assuming you are properly feeding at least 2x a day).. make him a little hungry. Don't give him a pellet, just offer the worm and see how he does. I wouldn't put more in there if he isn't eating the one.. if you do, remove them shortly after attempting to feed so they won't decay in the tank and foul up the water.

Peas are not to be fed on a regular basis- the betta's short GI tracts and the fact they are insectivore/carnivores means the pea will do nothing for him but give him empty calories and carbs (the same they do for us). They should not be fed on a regular basis.. no nutritional value to them and not a treat as it's nothing like their natural food.

You can give live foods- place a bucket of water outside, toss in some leaves and a little bit of dirt and wait- daphnia will breed all year round, and mosquito will breed in the stagnant water. Just use a shrimp net or a small fish net to collect the larvae, rinse in gentle tap water and feed!
Thank you for your advice=)
I do feed my guy 2x a day. Pellet food. He goes right for them. I tried placing the worms first, but he just sits there and ignores them lol. The good thing about my guy is that he knows when its feeding time and goes straight to the top of the tank, (once the hood is off) even allowing me to touch him with my finger... (weird lol) I'm def going to try what you suggested, and try to stimulate him to attack the food using tweezers. If that doesn't work I think I just might try the live foods. I def remove uneaten bloodworms, they usually just stay at the top anyway.

Can I feed him the live larvae they have in petco? Idk what theyre called?
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #4 
Myates

Most common is Baby Brine Shrimp, or adult brine shrimp.. and yes you can feed those to your betta. Those were a staple (along with ghost shrimp) for my angels and oscars.. well, a snack for the oscars :D
There are other way to get live foods.. but some people don't like to feed fry from a fish they breed to other fish. But doable- guppies are fast reproducers, so are platies and sword tails, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote