Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #1 
Elizabodwell

Unhappy Maybe in shock??

A couple days ago I was changing the water in my fishies bowl and he went down the garbage disposal I managed to get him out and watched him closely that first night. He was withdrawn and stayed up close to the top of the bowl, just breathing not swimming around or really even flapping his fins. The next morning when we woke up he had started swimming around on his own which I took as a good sign. I tried to feed him but he didn't eat and today he is swimming and playing in the roots of his plant again but still not eating. I have also noticed his tail looks like it's falling apart. I was wondering if it's common with a betta who has been through such an ordeal, and if he's likely to survive. Thanks for any help you guys can provide... Just another note I only changed half his water to help reduce the shock and I use bottled distilled water, if any of that matters.
Elizabodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #2 
sparkyjoe

Wow, poor guy!

Unfortunately I don't know enough about betta care to know answers for you, but personally I would be worried about exposure to soap or other cleaning chemicals, as well as bacteria or maybe even fungus from that type of experience. But then maybe I'm over thinking.

I'll also say that I've heard that it can be risky using distilled water, but I believe that was *only* using distilled, not using it for a partial water change.

Please only take this as my own, newbie, knowledge, but I would be inclined to do regular water changes (not sure of percentage, 50 to 100%???) using conditioned tap water. Make sure he doesn't get chilled. And maybe add some aquarium salt???? I don't know.

Hopefully you should get some advice from the pros on the forum. I really wish you luck.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shock, tail shredding