Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #1 
KaraAnne

Unhappy Acting Depressed - In need of Advice!!

My betta, Bob Buttons, always greets me & comes when I call him. Today he is acting depressed - just hanging out in one corner & not paying any attention to me when I talk to him, etc. When he does finally leave that one corner, he is swimming much slower and acting much more lethargic than normal. He doesn't seem injured or bloated, and I can't see anything physically wrong with his body. He ate this morning, and is still taking occasional breaths from the surface, but something is definitely wrong. I don't know what to do & I'm really worried. Any advice would be helpful! Thank you!
KaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Complete this info and add to your post...the more info the better we can help...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #3 
KaraAnne

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 mini algae eater catfish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets/flakes & brine shrimp in nutrient gel
How often do you feed your betta fish? small amount of food 2X day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I don't do full water changes bc I have the filter but I do add new water as the evaporation makes the water level go down
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add stress coat when I add new water & always brita filter the water 1st

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? N/A
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sudden depression/lethargy
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I added some Betta Revive drops which are supposed to prevent & treat fungal, bacterial, protazoan diseases
Does your fish have any history of being ill? was bloated once about 1 month ago, but that was before I knew not to feed him too much
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him in December
Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Are you making any water changes at all or just adding water as it evaporates......

Do you know what species the cat fish are and when did you add them......any live plants...
Old 03-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #5 
KaraAnne

He's finally moved out of the corner now, but was there for hours & would not respond to me at all, which is so unlike him. He is still acting pretty lethargic, though. I don't have any live plants, just plastic ones ... and there are also little cave things for him to hide in. I added one algae eater about 1-2 months ago, but then he died so I got 2 new ones about a week or so ago & they are both doing great so far. They are not plecos, but I don't know if they're the dwarf suckermouth catfish (otocinclus) or chinese algae eaters? They are pretty small & swim very fast. I have not done any water changes yet, because I just got the aquarium set up in December & only had a 3 gallon at the time. I recently upgraded to the 5 gallon, but I used some of the same water from the other tank (tried to only use the cleaner water, not the yucky bottom stuff) and the new water I added was dechlorinated & I added stress coat when I did it. He seemed to be loving his new home for the past week or so before he started acting depressed today!

Last edited by KaraAnne; 03-07-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I see the problem....poor water quality, overstocked and poorly stocked.....

In a 5gal filtered tank without live plants-once the nitrogen cycle is established needs at least 50% weekly water change with substrate vacuum in all areas that can be reached without moving anything to maintain water quality.

Filter media needs swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month.....

IMO-5gal is not big enough to support more fish along with the Betta-if the 2 fish are Otocinclus-they need at least a mature 20gal with live plants to thrive and kept in numbers of at least 6 and if Chinese algae eaters you don't want them at all with Bettas

Since the tank has been running with fish since December without water changes it could be deadly if you made a large water change at this point.....what I would recommend...

Re-home the cat fish and start making daily 10% water changes and every 2 days increase by 10% until you reach 50%-then make 50% daily for 2 days....vacuum 1/3 of the tank every 3rd day and on the second 50%.....rinse the filter media on 5th day....Then get on a regular schedule of 50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality

Be sure and dose the dechlorinator with any water added to the tank, use water of like temp and use water from the tap-by using the Brita filter you are removing the needed minerals the fish needs for long term health.

By using the old water from the other tank to fill the new tank-you only transferred dirty water full of DOC's...the beneficial bacteria are sticky and adhere to all the surface areas-very little are in the water column itself...

Good luck.....
Old 03-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #7 
KaraAnne

Wow. OK Thanks. and can I ask why chinese algae eaters shouldn't be in with a betta? Just curious.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

CAE as they mature stop eating algae and look for higher protein food-usually in the form of the slime coat of slow moving fish like a Betta....the wounds that are caused can sometimes cause the death of the Betta...not to mention they can get nearly a foot long....