Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #11 
freemike

Well 5 degrees to your fish is a big deal, but considering the difference in flow, depth, air temps, and tank size it could easily get swayed 5 degrees. This would be magnified in smaller tanks.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #12 
vilmarisv

I have a few Hydors and they have been working fine for close to 2 years now.
The dial is not accurate but they usually aren't no matter what brand you buy, just get a thermometer and test over a day or two until you find the proper setting.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #13 
Silverfang

I love my 25W, plan on ordering a second, possibly a 50W too

My Scuzi loves it even more. He's sitting at a toasty 81
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #14 
yayagirl1209

I really like my Hydro Theos. I have 2 of them. One in a filtered 3 gallon and 1 in a large unfiltered Kritter Keeper. As stated by others, the dial is just a guide and you have to adjust for each environment. The Kritter Keeper is set at 83 and keeps a steady 79. The filtered 3 gallon is set at 76 and keeps a steady 80.

I originally had a Hagen Elite 25W in my Kritter Keeper. It's considerably longer and not completely submersible. The length made it very difficult to situate in the tank without completely submersing the dial. I ended up trashing the Hagen and buying another Theo.

Just my 2 cents.
yayagirl1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #15 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayagirl1209 View Post
I really like my Hydro Theos. I have 2 of them. One in a filtered 3 gallon and 1 in a large unfiltered Kritter Keeper. As stated by others, the dial is just a guide and you have to adjust for each environment. The Kritter Keeper is set at 83 and keeps a steady 79. The filtered 3 gallon is set at 76 and keeps a steady 80.

I originally had a Hagen Elite 25W in my Kritter Keeper. It's considerably longer and not completely submersible. The length made it very difficult to situate in the tank without completely submersing the dial. I ended up trashing the Hagen and buying another Theo.

Just my 2 cents.
Thankies for you input.

Everyones input is much appreciated. I am leaning towards keeping Spike's new heater.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #16 
Khemikal

I also love my Hydor Theos. I've been using them for a few years in both fresh and saltwater. I've always used my heaters during cycling and use that as a time period to dial in where their knob needs to be. Using the thermometers on your tank instead of just the ones on your heater is the way to go in my opinion. If you are really worried about it getting stuck on then get an external temperature controller and use it.
Khemikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #17 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
I have at least a dozen 25w Hydor Theos....I find them to be very reliable. It's true, some you have to play around with to set the right temperature, but once you've got it, you're set I love them!
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #18 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSpun View Post
I have at least a dozen 25w Hydor Theos....I find them to be very reliable. It's true, some you have to play around with to set the right temperature, but once you've got it, you're set I love them!
Yup so far I love this heater. Funny thing, is it seems to be right on the dot. Seems to have been set on 81 80 and it keeps Spike's tank at a balmy 81F
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote