Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #11 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciFerra413 View Post
I feed them frozen shrimp. Thanks for the warning on peas.
Do you feed them pelleted food? this might be better as a normal diet. Blood worms and brine shrimp should only be fed as a treat. Lastly, do you fast them once a week? This helps in reducing constipation.
I feed my Spike his pellets as a main diet, fast him every Tuesday and feed him a tiny TINY chip of frozen brine shrimp the day after his fasting.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle09 View Post
Just out of curiousity why are peas iffy? That was what was recommended to me when I had trouble with my crowntail and I know the same method is recommended for other fish as well. Is it not healthy for them because I have a friend who gives them to her betta every couple weeks for a treat and he is doing fine. Also it is recommended as a home remedy in a book I have rather than using medicine like bettafix.
Just to answer your question, Gabrielle: bettas are carnivores (insectivores, technically), so their digestive systems aren't set up to cope with vegetable matter. The reason they work as a laxative (I've been told) is that their digestive systems have to kick into overdrive to force the pea out, as opposed to stuff like daphnia, which just makes it easier for them to flush it all through. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #13 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Just to answer your question, Gabrielle: bettas are carnivores (insectivores, technically), so their digestive systems aren't set up to cope with vegetable matter. The reason they work as a laxative (I've been told) is that their digestive systems have to kick into overdrive to force the pea out, as opposed to stuff like daphnia, which just makes it easier for them to flush it all through. :)
To further add:
making their digestive systems kick into overdrive must feel like us having to sit on the toilet aaaaallllll day long.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #14 
LuciFerra413

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Do you feed them pelleted food? this might be better as a normal diet. Blood worms and brine shrimp should only be fed as a treat. Lastly, do you fast them once a week? This helps in reducing constipation.
I feed my Spike his pellets as a main diet, fast him every Tuesday and feed him a tiny TINY chip of frozen brine shrimp the day after his fasting.
I have her in with 9 other fish so I just feed them all tetra betta flakes in the morning and the bloodworm/shrimp mix at night. Mainly for the catfish. It's difficult to fast the females because they are in the community tank.
LuciFerra413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #15 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
I have her in with 9 other fish so I just feed them all tetra betta flakes in the morning and the bloodworm/shrimp mix at night. Mainly for the catfish. It's difficult to fast the females because they are in the community tank.
Fasting all the other fish would be beneficial to them as well.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #16 
LuciFerra413

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Fasting all the other fish would be beneficial to them as well.
Well alrighty then! I always had the mindset of no food=death. I will begin fasting all my fish for one day a week.
LuciFerra413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #17 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Well alrighty then! I always had the mindset of no food=death. I will begin fasting all my fish for one day a week.
No food for 1 day isn't gonna kill them :)
They always have something in their digestive system. So during their fasting day they are essentially "cleaning" their digestive system.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #18 
BettaGirl201

Looks like dropsy
BettaGirl201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #19 
Wolfboy51

if she is her usual self shes probably just eggy. (i dont know what bloating looks like)
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #20 
gothgirrl

Update?

Did you ever find out what is going on with your female Betta? I have a female, same problem. I saw your pictures and thought it could be the same fish, just different colors! Mine has a white spot near her anal area, like an egg spot, but it has been there for more than two months and she is absolutely HUGE! I have tried fasting and peas, everything that I can find! Her water quality is excellent, in a 5 gallon tank with two snails and her Purigen filter keeps her ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at near 0 with 25% water changes every other week. She seems healthy and happy, inquisitive and energetic. She is just so BIG. I am hoping you found out what is up with yours, maybe the same thing is going on with mine..
Attached Images

gothgirrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, eggs, fat, female, fish