Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #1 
FishyFishy89

Cannot decide

Help me find what plants to put in Spike's house. I WAS thinking about Pennyworts, but the lighting maybe too high (12 hours of lighting).
So someone told me about Dwarf lilies. Looks great! I wouldn't mind replacing the middle plant with it. Now to replace that plant woven in the smaller log. Any ideas?
Spike's tank is maintained at a balmy 81F so it needs to work well with that temp/with 12 hours of lighting from broad daylight blubs.
I totally don't mind fast growers. I've got a 75 gallon and the trimmings will be planted in it ;)
And lastly, I'll be shopping from Planted Aquariums Central.

Thanks for any help!! :)
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

You've got a lot of choices, but I would stay away from most anarcharis and hornwort as they tend to not do the best in warmer waters. A banana plant/banana lily would look nice. Floating plants like water sprite would also be a great idea.

The one thing I'm curious about is why you have the light on for 12 hours. Without injecting CO2 and fertilizing that is just asking for algae growth. You shouldn't have the light on for any more than 10 hours.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #3 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
You've got a lot of choices, but I would stay away from most anarcharis and hornwort as they tend to not do the best in warmer waters. A banana plant/banana lily would look nice. Floating plants like water sprite would also be a great idea.

The one thing I'm curious about is why you have the light on for 12 hours. Without injecting CO2 and fertilizing that is just asking for algae growth. You shouldn't have the light on for any more than 10 hours.
I mean to keep it on for less than 10 hours but I just forget to turn it off/it ends up getting turned off at bedtime.

I'm no fond on banana lilies, just don't like their look ;) I believe I looked into Water Sprites and I thought they need low to medium light?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #4 
FishyFishy89

I may just settle on getting a plug in timer and for trying out a pennywort or water sprite with the dwarf lily

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 03-09-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I highly recommend a timer. Keeping the light on that long is going to give you problems. Generally the light should be on between 6 and 9 hours. Even 10 hours is pushing it. Planted tanks are about finding a balance between light, nutrients, and plant growth.

Water sprite actually needs medium to high light. Mine never did well under low light. Most floating plants need a good light source. Java fern and anubias are two that would work under a canopy of water sprite. Pennywort is also good as you can grow it rooted or floating. Parva crypt would be something else you could do if you want to mess with rooted plants.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #6 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
I highly recommend a timer. Keeping the light on that long is going to give you problems. Generally the light should be on between 6 and 9 hours. Even 10 hours is pushing it. Planted tanks are about finding a balance between light, nutrients, and plant growth.

Water sprite actually needs medium to high light. Mine never did well under low light. Most floating plants need a good light source. Java fern and anubias are two that would work under a canopy of water sprite. Pennywort is also good as you can grow it rooted or floating. Parva crypt would be something else you could do if you want to mess with rooted plants.
Thanks for your advice :)
Do you now anything about Apongogeton Crispus?
http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...-CRISPUS01.htm
Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

I personally don't know anything about it. But I love the way it looks so I did a little search on it. I found this on one of my plant resources: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ETON%20CRISPUS

It looks like a good candidate for your 75 gal.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
I personally don't know anything about it. But I love the way it looks so I did a little search on it. I found this on one of my plant resources: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ETON%20CRISPUS

It looks like a good candidate for your 75 gal.
I was thinking so as well. I love the "kinky" leaves.