Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 
jaela

Bettas and catfish breeds

Hello friends!

I'm in the process of cycling a 15h tank which will later be the new home to my lady VT, Ann, and possibly a sorority.

I had really wanted to add some otos to the tank because I love them and have experience with keeping them, but I'm starting to think it's not such a good idea. I would have to move them in when the tank's only been set up for a month or so, and the entire setup would have to be moved at the end of the summer. Otos are a little delicate in my experience, and I'm worried I would lose them.

So I'm looking into other similar small catfish types that I might be able to keep with my girl (or girls!) in this tank instead. I've heard good things about bristlenose plecos, and mixed things about pygmy cories, and would love any advice from those who have experience with them. Is there another type of small catfish that can be moved into a tank that hasn't been established as long, and that would have a better chance of holding up if they need to be transported? It would also be lovely if they can be kept in smaller groups, say 2-4, to keep the bioload manageable.

Thanks!
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

I would not suggest BN plecos, as they get 6 inches long and have bioloads like goldfish.

Pygmy cories are a great choice - they are tiny, with a tiny bioload, and most bettas get on well with bottom dwellers. They are also hardier than the next smallest species of cories (pandas) which are very susceptible to stress.
They do need groups of at least 6, but in a 15 gallon with one betta or even 6 girls in a sorority, that bioload is really not going to be an issue.

Pitbull plecos may also be an option, but they have a much bigger bioload and need groups of 5+.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #3 
Fin2you

just to hijack for a second about cories can you mix "species"? I've found a single panda cory living alone in a fishbowl and the owner wants to give it up. can I put it in my 10gal tank with some 3 or 4 pygmy cories & a couple snails?
Fin2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

You "can" although it is more recommended to have them as the same breed. I have no recommendations for it because I have never mixed and matched... Some shaol together, some won't. However, the others won't kill it, just get the poor guy out of a bowl :/
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #5 
Fin2you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
, just get the poor guy out of a bowl :/
:) I've emailed! the ad is a couple weeks old but not taken down, so we'll see... that's what I was thinking I feel so bad for it, at the very least putting it in my 10Gal with my betta is better than a little bowl by himself.
A good friend is heading to our "fish supplier" today & I told her to look for pygmy or panda cory's for me. she said she'd call if they had any. I might have new fishies this afternoon. LOL
Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #6 
jaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I would not suggest BN plecos, as they get 6 inches long and have bioloads like goldfish.

Pygmy cories are a great choice - they are tiny, with a tiny bioload, and most bettas get on well with bottom dwellers. They are also hardier than the next smallest species of cories (pandas) which are very susceptible to stress.
They do need groups of at least 6, but in a 15 gallon with one betta or even 6 girls in a sorority, that bioload is really not going to be an issue.

Pitbull plecos may also be an option, but they have a much bigger bioload and need groups of 5+.
Thank you so much! An LPS that treats their fish very well have a large group of pygmy cories it one of their community tanks -- it's good to hear they'll work well, as this way I won't have to worry about having them shipped. =]

Cories are omnivores, correct? Will they eat algae wafers? What about live brine shrimp?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #7 
Fin2you

Feed: algae tabs, catfish pellets or wafers, shrimp pellets, flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp
This is what my research has come up with for feeding pygmy cory's! I'm looking forward to finding some for myself now!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I've fed flakes. If you can find sinking flakes, or give them the occassional zuchinni slice they'll love you algae wafers are good for them as well. They'll eat the algae from your tank and off live plants as well.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #9 
jaela

Yay, hearing that they'll eat both zucchini and brine shrimp is really good news. =]
Old 03-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

My dad cooked some zuchinni, and didn't save a slice for my poor little cories. :( *sobs*

Mine will swim up and try and steal the micropellets that my other fish eat, as well as their own sinking tablets.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote