Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #11 
RyuAndMoyashi

Just an update. I've got 4 Cories and the Betta now. (2 albino Cories -Moyashi and Yuki- 1 "green" (bronze) Cory -Ginga- and a "black" (bronze) Cory -Kira-) All are doing well together! currently I've settled with the temporary Kyoto Grass (which I'm told will die in 2-4 months, but was on a crazy sale) I'll be purchasing some of the suggested plants when budget and time allows. Thank you everyone for you help!
RyuAndMoyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #12 
kfryman

Just saying cories are schooling fish, you have enough for a school. You just didn't research that for them to feel comfortable, they need to have the same type of cory. Like 4 albino cories, they may still school but, they are doing it because they won't feel secure.

I think you should take some back and get a proper school.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #13 
inareverie85

Getting at least another 3-4 more cories would be great for your poor lonely one. :)

Then, depending on the amount of gallons you get, you can have other fish, but I'd look at a few things:

Needs as far as water hardness - how hard is your tap water?
Potential aggression - Swordtail males can potentially bully a mellow betta.
Waste production - I typically prefer to stay away from any sort of livebearer (guppies, platys, swordtails) and goldfish in any tank less than 20g. These fish are happiest with a few of their own species, and.. They poop. A lot.

If you get, say a 20g, I'd recommend getting a small school of tetras or the smaller rainbowfish species (furcatas, threadfins, gertrudes, etc.) This would allow for your cories to school the bottom, a small school to school the middle, and your betta would be the centerpiece fish. :)

That's what I'd do anyway.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #14 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Just saying cories are schooling fish, you have enough for a school. You just didn't research that for them to feel comfortable, they need to have the same type of cory. Like 4 albino cories, they may still school but, they are doing it because they won't feel secure.

I think you should take some back and get a proper school.
The poster has a proper school. Cories school based on species not color. Since albino, green, and bronze cories are all the same species they can and will school together and it isn't simply out of necessity. I have a similar set up although it's one albino, one bronze, and three greens. They are always together. The bronze spends most of his time with the albino. They even breed amongst themselves. There is nothing wrong with this set up. It's hard to imagine it working unless you've seen or had the set up for yourself.

I got my albino and bronze from a giant tank with three different species of cories. The different species of cories only schooled with other members of the same species. Within the groups of species specific schools the different colors all intermingled. Since there were more than 4 of the two different colors of C. aeneus the albino and bronze wouldn't have to hang out if they didn't want to.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #15 
RyuAndMoyashi

I've fallen in love with my Cories (they are very active in contrast to Ryu's serenity- a very pleasing combination). As for the schooling, they are ALL C. Aeneus, just different presentations (green, dark, and albino). Everything I've researched (and yes even after everyone said things I went and researched more -once bitten, twice shy) states that as long as the are the same (Only C. Aeneus only C. Splendor and so on) then it will work fine, they will be comfortable and content. Which seems to be true, as Kira(bronze) prefers to stick near Moyashi (albino) and Yuki (albino) prefers the presence of Ginga ("green"), but all four will spend time together as well. You can put in other kinds of Cories, but they won't school together, but will co-exist peacefully.
RyuAndMoyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #16 
kfryman

Whoops, forgot that the green, bronze and albino are the same lol. I like just woke up then so yeah, my mind was kind of whack. Sorry for the accusation.

What size is the tank? Just curious.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cory, new tank, platies, sword tails