Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #1 
TuiAndLa

Ugh, Walmart rant, failed rescue.

Argh! People are so ignorant and cruel.

Here's the deal. I found 2 betta fish in the same cup at Walmart today. Apparently some idiot wanted to see them fight. They weren't fighting (or doing much of anything) by the time I found them (too beat up and stressed of course). But it was clear they had fought b/c the smaller one (a white/burgundy finned crowntail) had parts of fins ripped clean off, down to his body, holes in his fins and just sat on the bottom of the cup.

So my first reaction was to separate them of course, and I did (found an empty cup). Then I realized the crowntail was in such bad condition (and he'd been there for 2 weeks at least), I wondered if Walmart would let me have him, seeing as he'd die otherwise anyway and I've read the stories of other people doing something similar.

Waited forever for the fish department guy to get the manager (he was nice enough and would have given me the fish I'm sure, had it been his call). But the manager would only go half price ($3.00), and I had to say no.

I wasn't about to put money in their pocket to get a fish that may die anyway and just to watch them continue their cruelty. But ugh! I hate knowing the poor thing will die. I want to go back and get him so badly. I'm so sick of seeing the deplorable conditions of their fish, I'm about to just not even go there anymore.

Last edited by TuiAndLa; 03-10-2012 at 08:35 PM.
TuiAndLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Honestly, $3 won't pad Walmart's pockets and continue the sales. Selling the fish supplies and tanks is what makes them money. The fish are there to start an impulse buy, so people have to buy all the supplies. So don't feel bad, go back and get him :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #3 
TuiAndLa

I know but I don't want to give them the satisfaction of another sale. It's ridiculous. -_-

I've already bought 3 others from there that I couldn't pass up and fish supplies, before I knew better.

And then I'd have to go through the manager again to get half price... yea, that'll look real good after the first incident. I sensed an underlying attitude from her the first time...

Last edited by TuiAndLa; 03-10-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #4 
sparkyjoe

If you went back on another day of the week, or maybe a different time of day, say later at night, you *might* get a different person, say an assistant manager? They are open 24hrs a day, the person who said half-price can't be there all the time; maybe someone else will be more sympathetic and give you a better deal.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Ahh yes, wouldn't bother me to go back and ask again honestly. I don't care what others think, only what happens to the fish lol I'm kinda a butt when it comes to store though :P
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #6 
lexylex0526

Thats awful, I would of threatened to call animal cruelty on them (even though I wouldnt actually calls it just kinda scares them lol) actually when I went to walmart today I found myself wondering back to rhe fish section and guess what....no bettas! They had not one single betta there, which is strange because they always do so for a moment I was like yay walmart isnt selling them anymore but turns out when I asked a manager about it he said they are STILL selling them but are having trouble getting them in.
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #7 
blueridge

Totally understand your frustration! Walmart just doesn't seem to care about their fish. I just don't understand why they haven't stopped selling them in the first place especially since people complain and then all they have are dead fish in the stores that customers don't even want to mess with.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #8 
mattoboy

I went to a PetCetera today and they had absoluetly horrible conditioned males. It seems like everywhere you go now, their conditions are poor. The only good one is PetSmart - I would recommend buying from their. But all the LPS and PetSmarts and stuff have such healthy fish, but they are all a few bucks more. You lose each way, less money for a sick fish, or more money for a healthy fish. Once in a while you get a nice guy. But anyways, go back and save this CT. Get the monkey off your back.
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #9 
TuiAndLa

Aagh, I don't know. =/ I really don't want to risk getting the same manager again. I mean, personally, doing what I did was a feat in itself for me. I'm very bad at being social, and yes, I highly care of what others think of me. Kind of social anxiety too. And I hate conflict and avoid it at all costs. That's just my personality and I'm wondering if being "good" & "honest" has any dang value in this world anymore. Doesn't seem to get you anywhere. -_-
Old 03-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #10 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuiAndLa View Post
Aagh, I don't know. =/ I really don't want to risk getting the same manager again. I mean, personally, doing what I did was a feat in itself for me. I'm very bad at being social, and yes, I highly care of what others think of me. Kind of social anxiety too. And I hate conflict and avoid it at all costs. That's just my personality and I'm wondering if being "good" & "honest" has any dang value in this world anymore. Doesn't seem to get you anywhere. -_-
First let me say that there's no shame in that; it would be great if more people had that attitude.

Next let me say that YES! there is terrific value in being good & honest. It can be challenging to live your life with morals but it is very much worth it in the long run.

Your compassion for that little fish is commendable and it's more than others would have (did!) do to put him in his own cup so he could have some peace; don't feel bad or beat yourself up over it.

Last edited by sparkyjoe; 03-11-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Typo
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote