Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #1 
Tigerfish1704

Danio & Betta

Hey everyone! I went to Petsmart today. I went in to get some conditioner and came out with 3 danios, 3 ghost shrimp(two are prego), and a male betta to put into my newly cycled, planted ten gallon. Is this an ok match up? I was worried about the danios. The petsmart lady kept insisting they would be fine but I was concerned.
Tigerfish1704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Omg I swear I wann freak out on pet smart ladies. They are ridiculous. I'd return the danios. They are a really active fish and need a tank at least 3 feet long for a school. :/ they may be nippy in such a small group.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #3 
Tigerfish1704

what should I put in there then?
Tigerfish1704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #4 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Here are some ideas of what to have instead:
-8 Ember Tetras
-8 Neon Tetras
-4 Large Corydoras Catfish (bronze, albino, spotted, etc)
-5 Panda Corydoras Catfish
-7 Pygmy Corydoras Catfish
-3 Male Endler's Livebearers
-5 Harlequin Rasboras
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #5 
fishy friend2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
Here are some ideas of what to have instead:
-8 Ember Tetras Good suggestion
-8 Neon Tetras I think that while a 10 gallon filtered, planted, and has a regular schedule of water changes can hold the bio load of these fish, it's not ideal to have them in long term as you won't see there full potential,in a larger tank of around 15 gallons, minimum of 20 inches they will be very active and all over the tank while they are in a 10 gallon they won't be as active, and won't color up as much
-4 Large Corydoras Catfish (bronze, albino, spotted, etc) any type of larger corydoras isn't suited for a standard 10 gallon in my opinion, as it doesn't provide a big enough foot print for them to swim around in and explore, also I believe that the Original Poster has gravel, all species of corydoras do much better in sand, and constantly rubbing on gravel can ware away there barbels, and lead to fungal infections
-5 Panda Corydoras Catfish I believe the Original Poster has gravel In there tank, with all corydoras and especially the smaller types gravel can ware away there barbels, and irritate there bellies leading to fungal ifections they will also have a hard time sifting throught the gravel
-7 Pygmy Corydoras Catfish I believe the Original Poster has gravel In there tank, with all corydoras and especially the smaller types gravel can ware away there barbels, and irritate there bellies leading to fungal ifections they will also have a hard time sifting throught the gravel
-3 Male Endler's Livebearers Good suggestion
-5 Harlequin Rasboras Harlequins a a bit too large and boisterous for a 10 gallon, it is a very similar situation to the neons, you wint see the full potential and the wont be as colorful, and active, also in a group of only 5 they will be very nippy and harass the Betta leading to stressful conditions for the Betta
I just wanted to point a few things out about the above post
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #6 
kfryman

Just to put a thought in:
Cycling a tank is good, but then going out and buying everything at once is bad. It will just put the entire tank through a mini cycle. Add one or two fish in a day so the bacteria catches up. Put the Betta in last and it should be good.

10 gallons are nice because you can add more fish, the problem is, what fish can do fine in a 10 with a Betta. Cories work great with bettas since they usually stay at the bottom. Though since they are on the bottom you need an appropriate substrate. Which as said before you have gravel and that wouldn't go with the fish's needs. If you can find Endlers, I would get those.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #7 
Cynical Fish Guy

Neon Tetras! I'd get 5-6 of em if I were you. They are small and fast buggers. A Platy or molly is an option too!
Cynical Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Mollies are far too big for a ten gallon. They produce ammonia by the bucketloads, lol.
Platies are a good option.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Personally, I'm not a fan of platies or guppies in less than 15 gallons due to their activity levels and adult size. I'm not saying they can't ever work in ten gallons, but they definitely aren't my first choice.

Definitely return the danios - quite apart from space considerations, they also do better in cooler water than bettas, can stress a betta out with their crazy activity, and need schools of six.

I second ember tetras or Endlers Livebearers. If you switch to sand, pygmy or panda cories are also good. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #10 
Misomie

I personally had good results with a betta and two danios. (that was before I knew much about fish)

The betta I had just happened to have the right activity level and temperament. @_@ (they were in a small cage at the time too.)

Tetras might be the best option. I've also had guppies work, but ones that I have had were fin-nippers so watch out with males.
Misomie is offline   Reply With Quote