Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #1 
JBosley

Fluval Spec Nano

Hey!
I was wondering what everyone thinks of the Fluval Spec Nano as a tank for 1 Betta They have one for half off at my LFS and I'm thinking of getting it! It would be an upgrade from the 0.9 Gallon Cube my 1 guy is in right now My other tank broke, so he got shoved into a 0.9 and I feel guilty! Haha.

So, good tank or bad tank?
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #2 
JBosley

No comments on this tank?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #3 
JBosley

No one has used this tank?

I'm just worried about the filter....
Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 
fishy friend2

Here is a thread from another forum I'm on that had a similar situation
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?...pec-for-betta/
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #5 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy friend2 View Post
Here is a thread from another forum I'm on that had a similar situation
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?...pec-for-betta/
Why thank you!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #6 
fishy friend2

Your welcome!
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #7 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
I have a couple of these tanks, with hopes to get more. They are AWESOME and beautiful to boot....good size for a betta also.

The filter is too strong out of the box. What I did was cut a small corner off the sponge filter and stuff it in the spout attached to the hose. Voila, a slow trickling stream. Both tanks have remained cycled like this, with no damage to the pump at all

If you decide on this tank and need help with the mod, PM me and I will send you pics/vids of what I did. Took about 30 seconds

Cheers!
Cat

P.S. I forgot to address the large feeding hole on the top. I covered it with a drink coaster....and then used an small colored childs bowl from Ikea to go on top of it....but just the coaster is fine. I only added the bowl because I drop the bright led light right onto it, and it dulls down the light a bit and glows a lovely color. Looks pretty cool!

Last edited by StarSpun; 03-11-2012 at 04:22 PM.
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #8 
JBosley

Thanks so much! If it's there on the 22nd I'm going to get it. I will definitely PM you about the mod! I was afraid the filter would be too strong, glad you found an easy way to fix it. I will also need help cycling as I have never done it!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #9 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
Thanks so much! If it's there on the 22nd I'm going to get it. I will definitely PM you about the mod! I was afraid the filter would be too strong, glad you found an easy way to fix it. I will also need help cycling as I have never done it!

Sweet, hope you get it. It's a really really nice tank
The filter was REALLY strong when I first set it up. Craziness....! The mod works perfectly. If you find the trickle slowing down, you can just take it off, clean out the sponge and re-attach. Simple

About cycling, it can take a while, but I found in this particular tank it took no time at all. I'm not one for a fish in cycle, but I had no choice here, it just CYCLED without a big ammonia spike. I am still a bit confused about how it happened, but it did....both of them too. Fish are perfectly fine, and love it in there So I'm happy!

Also, I keep the water level below the top filter grate....I keep the spouts visible so I know when the trickle slows down, then I know when to clean it

Cheers!
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #10 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSpun View Post
Sweet, hope you get it. It's a really really nice tank
The filter was REALLY strong when I first set it up. Craziness....! The mod works perfectly. If you find the trickle slowing down, you can just take it off, clean out the sponge and re-attach. Simple

About cycling, it can take a while, but I found in this particular tank it took no time at all. I'm not one for a fish in cycle, but I had no choice here, it just CYCLED without a big ammonia spike. I am still a bit confused about how it happened, but it did....both of them too. Fish are perfectly fine, and love it in there So I'm happy!

Also, I keep the water level below the top filter grate....I keep the spouts visible so I know when the trickle slows down, then I know when to clean it

Cheers!
Yeah I want it haha I like easy and simple, thats for sure. Ugh cycling is the ONLY thing I really don't want to do, I can't afford a good test kit and have never cycle. My sisters Fluval Chi (I had it at first) we didn't cycle and it did fine. So I'm worried about cycling...