Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 
Nish

Does my betta hate the ghost shrimp?

Today, I bought three ghost shrimp to put in my 3.5 gallon tank with my male betta. My betta constantly seems to be trying to swim away from them. He hasnt been relaxing in his plants like he normally does. Also, one of his favorite spots to lay was under his heater. Now, a shrimp always seems to drive him out. The betta does not seem aggressive at all. It seems like the shrimp are bothering him, and are always ganging up on him. They do not give him his space. Do you think that he will get used to them, or should I just take them out all together?

Last edited by Nish; 03-10-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nish View Post
Today, I bought three ghost shrimp to put in my 3.5 gallon tank with my male betta. My betta constantly seems to be trying to swim away from them. He hasnt been relaxing in his plants like he normally does. Also, one of his favorite spots to lay was under his heater. Now, a shrimp always seems to drive him out. The betta does not seem aggressive at all. It seems like the shrimp are bothering him. Do you think that he will get used to them, or should I just take them out all together?
I think that is a question that a lot of betta owners find themselves asking. It is possible that he needs time to adjust and will do just fine or he might be plotting his attack on the shrimp (like mine did).

I understand your concern for your betta, but I also hope have taken care of the ghost shrimp as well by providing them with plenty of coverage. Give both the betta and the shrimp a little bit of time for adjustment first.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 
Nish

the shirmp just seem to constantly be in the betta's favorite spots
Old 03-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

My ghost shrimps did the same for the first few days (granted, they became lunch afterward). They would stake out his temple, gather in the back corner where he liked to rest by his heater. Not saying they won't get along, that he won't get used to them. Give it a little time, if you feel it's not working, take the shrimp out and see if you can create an environment for them.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #5 
Nish

They all seem to be adjusting a little bit after the first day. The shrimp don't seem to be going quite as crazy around him and he seems to be relaxing more. I hope it lasts. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #6 
Cynical Fish Guy

Just don't feed that Betta BRINE SHRIMP. He might decide to try and taste the ghost shrimp. My betta never bothered the ghost shrimp, he'd stand his ground, and they lived happily in a 1 gallon tank. 5 ghost shrimp and Sam.
Cynical Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote