Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #11 
copperarabian

I've never had a pit bull but they are adorable and have incredible jaw muscles. Like any dog they need to be trained properly, so many people don't put in the work or train the dog in the wrong way and their dogs develop issues.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #12 
Aus

Quote:
Every dog should be trained though. Properly socialized, too. Big, little, all of them. Should be mandatory. Like leash laws.
Have you ever seen the owners of killer dogs on the news? "I can't believe my darling wuvvable Sweetums DID that! He was always SO gentle with the kids!"

You know... Until he ate one.

And that statement above makes a whole lot more sense to me than people denying the possibility that owning a dog breed created for the singular purpose of killing things dead MIGHT entail a risk.

Proper ownership laws. That is an awesome idea.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Also, yes they attack people. But they were bred to fight DOGS and pitbulls are naturally very friendly towards people. They tend to need more work with other dogs.

I recommend watching the show "pitbulls and parolees" on animal planet. I love it! The lady has around 200 rescue pitbulls, and every single one she gets is just just a wiggly people loving dog, even ones that have been abandoned and abused. :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #14 
revolutionrocknroll

""When twenty human fatalities from PBT attacks were studied, several common denominators were observed... Eleven of the owners of these twenty dogs had criminal records and seven of these had criminal records for violence. Eleven of the dogs showed showed evidence of physical abuse." The Dog's Mind by Bruce Fogel DVM, MRCVS.

I really hate everyone who says that these dogs are vicious without knowing any facts besides the amount who have attacked humans. I work at a doggie daycare and boarding kennel and all of the pits I've met have been very human friendly dogs. I've been bitten by a Siberian husky, a Maltese, and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, but I've never had any problems with pit bulls.

I'm convinced that breed specific legislation is unnecessary and misguided. I think that certain people should be banned from having any pet, and "dangerous dogs" like pit bulls in particular. These people either abuse the dogs or train them to be human aggressive and those are the ones that end up attacking people. People with a history of animal abuse or certain crimes (drug dealers, violent crimes, etc) should not be allowed to have pets, especially a pet that could be dangerous like a dog.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #15 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I recommend watching the show "pitbulls and parolees" on animal planet. I love it! The lady has around 200 rescue pitbulls, and every single one she gets is just just a wiggly people loving dog, even ones that have been abandoned and abused. :)
I love that show! Actually, many of the dogs she gets are unadoptable. The ranch they have in New Mexico is the forever home for those dogs.

Any breed, any mutt can bite and become unadoptable. Breed bans are stupid.

I hope to adopt one or more senior pitties someday. Can't right now.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #16 
Sena Hansler

I love how on the news the owner actually says "I have no idea why he'd do that... I mean... I have three kids, and he's really gentle with them, he's never bitten any of us - I have no idea what made him snap!" But really, I guess it's the owner's voice against the dog's silence. Understandabley, to please the public breed bans are in place - usually against the "lock jaws" types, such as the pitbull. BUT that makes no sense considering Great Danes and Mastiffs actually do the same thing. I work with dogs and I don't care the breed. I know the precautions, and I knows ways to get "unbit" if they latch on.

2 reasons dogs bite: aggression, and fear. Aggression is usually "this is my territory" or "I don't like you", and fear is "fight or flight" which most people who are attacked or witness an attack mistaken the signs of "I'm scared" for "I'm a mean and vicious dog."

Fear and aggression are from one thing: envrironment. Although there are a select few dogs BORN grumpy little poops, doesn't mean they couldn't have been given to a proper family who could deal with it, or been raised being handled around loud sounds, children, etc as a pup to "desensitize."

I personally have never been bit by BIG dogs I don't like chihuahuas, because I've been attacked more by them than any other breed. I'm workin' on that though :/ someone forced their little grumpy chihuahua into my hands because she wanted to prove that although on the floor he was a meanie, in hands he was a lover. Aaaand she was right x.x although I kept him far from my face LOL!!

Why don't we put down the bad owner instead >.>

Ohhhh right because OUR lives are more than "a dog's". That and the community would be right down p'o'd.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #17 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
And that statement above makes a whole lot more sense to me than people denying the possibility that owning a dog breed created for the singular purpose of killing things dead MIGHT entail a risk.
See this is the very thing that keeps society in the dark ages. Pitbulls were bred to defend farms from predators and vermin, to sustain stock and crops. It's humans that used them for illegal and twisted gamblings against other animals. The temperament of a Pitbull (and I mean the breed, not a mix) is to be loyal and trusting to humans with no human aggression. Human aggression is not bred into them (unless mixed with a breed with that trait), but trained. You can make a Pitbull whatever you want it to be, their ability to constantly want to please their owners is their greatest and worst feature.

I can't say there was one person in my family that was accepting of my dog when I took her home at 6 wks... we changed that and now my mother has her own Pitbull mix.

Accroding to your statement though, the whole Terrier Group are killers. If you read the description, they were bred to kill things dead as well.

But yet you have various other breeds, known for human aggression like the Presa Canario which go unnamed. Chow Chows are another. Or possessive breeds like Poodles, Papillion, Lasa Apso, Old English Sheep Dogs, Chihuahua, Dachshunds, Schnauzers... but it's cute when they bite.

Give me a Pitbull, German Shep or Rottie any day over an ankle biter with a big dog attitude. I won't let me 3 yr old son go to his Aunts house with their Chihuahua, but he sleeps with my Pitbull every night.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #18 
Sena Hansler

I hate possessive dogs. My mom has one it hates me. Then again it cannot hurt me it has so little teeth (dog: grrrr SNAP!! nomnomnom gum gum gum) xD Plus it's an ugly dog. >.>

Mastiffs were also farm dogs. Wolf Hounds, Collies, Blue Heelers, Chows too.... They're picking on the most common "fight dog" there is, which is the pitbull. I've seen sooo many pitbulls and they are so cute!!! Their goal, is to please their human. So, human says, pitbull does.

My dad's dog is a beagle basset. Bassets are thought of "cute and friendly" but they were bred for hunting purposes, and so were beagles. Actually, my dad's dog obeys me well enough I could make her attack someone - or she'll actuall defend me from people she feels "aren't right" to be around us lol.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #19 
Granberry

Since the OP was eliciting opinions, and I'm sure she expected there to be a lot of different ones, and since nobody here seems to be yelling yet (please don't!), I'm going to add one more idea.

If a person wants to keep a pet tiger or other specified undomesticated animal in my state, they have to have a license and meet certain requirements as far as enclosures, safety devices, etc. showing they can keep it safely without it presenting a risk of harm to humans or property (such as livestock or pets). It isn't because we're picking on tigers. It's because biologists and wildlife folk tell us tigers are big, strong, and dangerous.

Pit bulls may be trainable to be non-dangerous to livestock and humans - heck, maybe tigers are too - but they are bred to be strong-jawed enough, well-muscled enough, and to have a "gaming" temperament such that they present a danger to livestock. Animal aggression in the breed is expected (if not tolerated) even in the show ring That kind of an animal needs to be treated like a tiger. So do Dogo Argentinos who were bred to bring down runaway slaves and have certainly killed their fair share of infants and adults.

I really would feel better about this if more pit bull owners were saying things like, "we have a real problem with our breed...let's find a way to handle it" instead of using the "they're so lovable...you're just prejudiced" approach. I have seen breeders tout the line (IDK where they got it, but apparently some authority on temperament) "highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death..." Really? Is that something you want to be advertising to people? Who exactly is the target demographic for THAT line? Responsible owners or tough guy wannabes?

If my community offers the vote to me, I'll support breed specific legislation because all dogs are not created equal.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #20 
Sena Hansler

That's a good opinion I will say... it isn't really "pitbulls" it's just "dogs". Dogs derived from WOLVES. domesticated, and became man's friend and protector. Technically, no matter the breed (okay maybe except some of the....toys and teacups because they are smaller than my guineas ) they still have that instinct in them... The fight or flight, the hunt, and the protect. People are of a dog's PACK (sorry, but really, dogs are dogs not babies.) and when people forget that it's a "pack" more than "this dog is my baby and I spoil him and I love him and I tuck him in at night" kind of mind setting, they can forget that this animal, can be dangerous, or save their life. I don't say "don't love your dog" lol but remember it isn't a human instincts are different.

Which is the same for tigers. Some owners go "I love him like my baby, I tuck him in..." and so on, and forget it is still a wild animal. We have not domesticated tigers as well as dogs, they are still wild and need to be kept carefully - like Granberry mentioned with the permits, enclosures, inspections, etc.