Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #21 
alleaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I think a bird deserves the biggest cage you can get. They will be so much happier with room to move. Of course being out of the cage daily would be a substitute.

Can't believe no one's brought this up, but see if you have any bird rescues near by. Says you live in Chicago, there's bound to be some bird rescues there. Ask to come by, maybe help out. It'd be a great way to be around birds if you can't have one. Maybe you'd even end up adopting one from a rescue :3
That is an excellent idea. Rescues are usually very open to volunteers helping out, especially if the person has no birds. Rescues also have so many different types which allow you to see the various personalities and also give the big picture on what it's like to care for different species.
alleaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #22 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Volunteering with birds would give you a lot of hands on experience, dealing with problems etc, that would be hard to earn from just reading.

My parents would never let me get a bird because of the dander and noise.
Good luck convincing your parents! Keep reading ;)

My dream bird is a toucan or aracari. I read a ton about them, thinking they'd be horrible pets, but they actually seem like such great birds :3
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #23 
alleaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
My parents would never let me get a bird because of the dander and noise.
Good luck convincing your parents! Keep reading ;)

My dream bird is a toucan or aracari. I read a ton about them, thinking they'd be horrible pets, but they actually seem like such great birds :3
I have always wanted a toucan! They make wonderful companions and are so friendly.

You bring up an excellent point with the dander and noise. Birds rise with the sun and go to sleep when it sets so they are noisiest at the crack of dawn and dusk. Dander is horrible for anyone with allergies and dust based dander is soooo messy. I went with eclectus to avoid the dander but I still have the noise, although they talk more than they scream.

Another thing to keep in mind is vet care. Avian vet care can be expensive if something happens. A yearly check up runs me around $90 per bird and when I had an egg binding scare (hens lay eggs regardless of a nest) that was a nice $4000 vet bill. I am not trying to be discouraging, I love my birds dearly and I would not trade them for anything.

Below is my eclectus pair with their first clutch of chicks.
Attached Images

Last edited by alleaa; 03-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.
alleaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #24 
betta lover1507

oh okay, well i don't know what teflon is exactly (i never cook anything besides boil water, eggs, and hotdogs) a bird sounds great and all but what will my parents say? how would i ask them?
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #25 
lvandert

Now that I can't answer, lol. You know your parents best. Teflon is the "non stick" black stuff on the surfaces of pots and pans.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #26 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

^ That. We can't tell you how to deal with your parents, all parents respond differently to things. Your household seems to like animals, so you might have an easier time.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #27 
GwenInNM

Here's my 2 cents You need to ask yourself, where do I want to be in my life when I leave home? Birds can live many years (as well as many pets) and you need to be prepared to care for them, if you were to go to college (great idea), start dating, etc. What if you want to start traveling, who would care for them, and are you prepared for the expense of a petsitter? I have no clue how old you are, but if you're living with your parents, is that what you always want to be doing?

I volunteer at a wildlife clinic, that cares for sick, orphaned wild birds etc., and it's made me realize I don't really care that much for birds, but do respect and enjoy wild birds. Perhaps like others suggest you should do some volunteering in this area.

Sometimes people acquire pets because they are bored, lonely etc, and are looking for something to fill a void (which pets can't do over a period of time). This is where hoarding begins, and it can't stop unless you look at what you may feel you are missing. Maybe every time you think about getting a new pet, you should go for a run, or invite a friend over etc.

Not to sound like I'm preaching, but give it some thought. You will not always be at home, and if you have lots of pets it can weigh you down, and keep you from taking on new adventures.

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #28 
betta lover1507

i don't have friends....
but i don't know. am only 13, i have issues if rushed like this. i really just wanted a bird but i wasn't sure, now since you've said that am panicking!! like omg what will i do?? i feel twisted up inside :( college is a distance from me right now. am barely finishing 8th grade D:
should i tell my parents now?
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #29 
lvandert

I've been in college for two years now. I had to leave Spike at home last year and it killed me but I had to live in a dorm. It was kinda rough on her but my parents kept her company while I was gone. Then in the beginning of summer I moved into an app with my bf that allowed animals and ta-da my birdie moved with me :) Yeah its good to think of the future but I sure didn't when I got Spike (age 10). Those things you'll figure out when the time comes. If I was in your situation I would broach the subject the morning of my b-day. (can't really get to angry at me can they?) Point out that you've cared for all of these other animals so well (might be good to add if you've stayed out of trouble recently or did good on a test). Or say if your a pretty good student make a proposition that if you get high B's and A's on your report card that you can have one. That's how I weaseled mine. I had to get a 4.0 GPA on my report card, I got a 3.89 but they still let me get her.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #30 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Tell your parents. Don't force them into it. You'll have to be sure that they'd take care of your birdie if you had to move into a dorm. I'm in this problem with my snake.. If I manage to get into school here, I'll have 4 years left here, then 3 years away from mr snake to go to vet school. At least I'd only have to come feed him every 3 weeks. Birds need daily care and you have to have a plan for the future with an animal like that.