Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #111 
kfryman

We have two pit mixes at my house. They are both sisters and have been with each other besides some walks and when they were adopted. My sister got one then felt bad for the other one. The last one she got is the one that looks like a pit. She is wasn't more obedient than the other one but does have dog problems, especially with random dogs.

For people saying that a dog is dangerous because of what task it was bred to do. They are pit. and rhodesion ridgeback. If anyone knows, ridgebacks were bred to hunt lions in Africa. Yeah that is right, they are still friendly though.

Then my sister's boyfriend, his mom has a Chihuahua, she is so damn mean and has less memory than a goldfish lol. Bits from big dogs hurt more, but small dogs are always biting people. As said before, wouldn't the media look silly for saying Chihuahua Bites Person, of course and since pits are associated with dog fighting they say aggressive dog attack, we have a story. It really annoys me though.

Two shows to watch Pitbulls and Parolees and Pit boss. The Pit Boss is a show with little people that run a rescue in Hollywood. They can handle the dogs and the dogs are probably less weigh but have twice the muscle.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #112 
Aus

As a mother, my opinion is: the welfare of kids come first, the end. What kind of parent would I be, if my kids did -not- come first?

This is why I never kept any kind of aggressive breed once my child came along (I've owned dobermanns, bull terriers and mixed molosser types in the past, and a kid-safe kelpie later on).

There's no sane reason I can see to keep a proven child-aggressive dog alive and in a home with kids in it. And I'd probably not rehome one in case it bit someone else's children.

And hey, if Grandma bit my kid in the face, I'd probably spare a thought to having her euthanised. Re-homed, at the least.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #113 
Granberry

Short answers are probably appropriate for this time of night...

1. Mollyjean asked what the discussion of euthanizing pets who are perceived to be a threat to children in the home has to do with the OP, i.e., Pitbulls are hated for no reason. The answer is that somebody offered a theory that children who are rough with dogs will learn respect for animals if they suffer a bite or scratch. That led to a discussion of the need to protect children from bites versus the lessons learned from them as well as the magnitude of risk from a dog that can bite a child's arm off versus a dog that is little. My position is children matter the most, enough to euthanize your pet if it's a risk to them. Someone else said they wouldn't euthanize their grandmother if she was mean to the kids and dogs are people too. It kind of all went to pot from there.

2. Somebody inquired why I put my sweet retired show dog Chihuahua down (one major away from her championship!). The short answer is that it was a family decision, and it was the right one. She was 14, toothless, nearly blind, and at 1.5 pounds was a walking skeleton. Call me crazy, but I didn't feel relinquishing her to the shelter was humane.

3. FishyFishy, I'm not going to argue with you about your thought that my grumpy old Rottweiler deserved a second chance and would have been "snapped up in a minute!" by an adopter. I'll just compliment your heart for animals and suspect someday your heart for your children may change your mind. But I agree, Bogey was a great dog.

The pugs in lifejackets were quite cute, BTW. :)

Last edited by Granberry; 03-13-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #114 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
There's no sane reason I can see to keep a proven child-aggressive dog alive and in a home with kids in it. And I'd probably not rehome one in case it bit someone else's children.
Agreed. If it was proven to be a danger to the children... Of course. It needs to go. But even then, I don't see why you would have it killed. Just seems very extreme to me. With the dog in question, it wasn't a proven danger.. it that point it was a perceived danger. And if the owner had kids, then, well, call me crazy, but logic tells me re-homing the dog into a house without kids would be an option. I love my kids, but I love my dog enough that, if I couldn't care for her anymore, I would do everything I could to find someone able to care for her before even considering putting her down.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #115 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
Sadie rarely gets in trouble.. get this.

We had put a baby gate up between the living room and the kitchen. The last thing I need is a doggy underfoot when I'm cooking. After a couple weeks we took away the gate and replaced it with a 1 foot tall wire grate that came out of my daughter's closet. (Was being used as a shelf). All the time, teaching her not to go past it. She never once tried to jump it or knock it over, even after the point she could easily step (not jump) over it. So we removed it and I put down a strip of masking tape.. and she won't pass it. Even when her toys roll across. I put masking tape between the living room and the hall to see if I could keep her in the living room and she won't pass it. It makes me laugh when she looks at me as if saying "Mommy.. please get my ball?"
Emma's a crumb monster. Just the slightest piece of people food makes her sick. We're also moving to a new apartment that has a larger kitchen walkway/I threw out the extensions to the doggie gate
Lord have mercy if I'll have to buy a whole new gate
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #116 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Emma's a crumb monster. Just the slightest piece of people food makes her sick. We're also moving to a new apartment that has a larger kitchen walkway/I threw out the extensions to the doggie gate
Lord have mercy if I'll have to buy a whole new gate
Oh! If it's a large space, go to a thrift store or junk store and find a gate from a baby bed. You know the wood ones? We have two in the house for when we want to confine Sadie to one room, because my house is FULL of archways and it's the only thing that spans all the way across.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #117 
Granberry

Quote:
Agreed. If it was proven to be a danger to the children... Of course. It needs to go. But even then, I don't see why you would have it killed. Just seems very extreme to me. With the dog in question, it wasn't a proven danger.. it that point it was a perceived danger. And if the owner had kids, then, well, call me crazy, but logic tells me re-homing the dog into a house without kids would be an option. I love my kids, but I love my dog enough that, if I couldn't care for her anymore, I would do everything I could to find someone able to care for her before even considering putting her down.
Molly, of course I believed he was a danger. I had kept a rottweiler in my house for 8 years. We had taken him through multiple obedience courses. I had 3 children who adored their family dog. I had invested so much money in that dog because we loved him. What sane person would just up and euthanize a family pet for fun?

I swore I wouldn't explain this again, but my son dropped some food, they both went for it. Bogey's expected behavior was to back off. Humans are alpha, and we get the food. He didn't. He barked an ear-ringing warning bark and took a step towards a 4-year-old then took the food. Food aggressive dogs and 4-year-olds don't mix, and I didn't trust him any more.

This really isn't something you should be taking a stand on.

I would really feel better if you were on the side of prevention of harm to children instead of not euthanizing a dog at all costs. But it is that same attitude that is making a lot of the voters out there just decide you're all way off base in your priorities and we're going to support legislation that protects our livestock and kids from your mistakes.

This is a crappy picture, but geez, everyone is worrying about my Bogey so much I thought I'd reassure you he was loved.
Attached Images

Last edited by Granberry; 03-13-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #118 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Oh! If it's a large space, go to a thrift store or junk store and find a gate from a baby bed. You know the wood ones? We have two in the house for when we want to confine Sadie to one room, because my house is FULL of archways and it's the only thing that spans all the way across.
I considered those. But between me, hubs, brother in law and BFF we'd all knock over that gate and get really frustrated with it. That and Emma is super smart. She'll realize how easy it is to knock it over and get into the kitchen when we're not home.
I've tried keeping the kitchen really clean too. Sweeping every time we deal with food. She always finds something!!!
We have this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...Gates+and+Door
It says extensions can be purchased separately
These almost look like the same product, but the brand isn't the same
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...Gates+and+Door
Old 03-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #119 
FishyFishy89

found them
YAY!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #120 
MollyJean

Sorry... I agree that you should kill a dog if it causes harm. But the dog didn't hurt anyone. It could have been rehomed and gone another 5 or six happy years without ever hurting anyone. It really seems like you jumped to conclusions and took the most rash course of action. You could have just as easily kept your children from harm by removing the dog from your house -without- killing it.