Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #141 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said you should have waited til the dog bit someone.

I said that if you knew the dog might bite a child, the logical thing to do would be finding a home without children. If you knew the dog well enough to know what MIGHT set him off then you should have at least -tried- to find him a suitable home, and at the same time kept your children safe. You said someone offered to re-home the dog.. I'm sorry, but in my opinion you jumped to the last option you had available. It doesn't matter your reasons, it's too extreme for me.
My exact thoughts.
Why would you still put an animal down when someone else offered to take him? Someone who obviously had an appropriate home for him.

Please answer me that Granberry.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #142 
Granberry
New Member
 
Granberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I'm sorry I caused you pain by using the word killed, I'm just blunt.

Still would like to hear what testing was done on the dog before euthanizing and why not give him to that vet tech if she had no kids and a farm and other rotts?

I have adopted 3 senior dogs who became part of the family almost immediately. I wonder if your "grumpy old Rottweiler" would have been much happier at the vet tech's farm.

Nothing to do with pits or legislation but since you opened the door, I'm coming through
You are right, I opened the door, so the rules say you were invited! :)

Neither I nor the vet thought any testing was needed. Whether his behavior change was because of a brain tumor or sensitivity to his hips which gave him a little trouble, the point was I knew he was less trustworthy than he had been. The cause wasn't as important as the symptom.

As far as the vet tech (which is a title I made up...I think she was actually barn cleaning staff as this vet handled large animals too), I not only wouldn't give her my dog, I was annoyed that she asked. It seemed heartless to suggest she knew a better option when I had already suffered through the decision-making process and weighed all my options. A family isn't interchangeable. It is much easier to give a dog away and tell yourself he'll be fine than it is to walk in the room with him, tell him he's a good boy while you watch him pass. That sucked.

I don't give my dogs away. I take care of them for their whole lives. Giving him away for an extra 2 or 4 years of existence on land he doesn't know with other rotts who may scare him with people who don't know him wasn't an option I would ever consider.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #143 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granberry View Post
You are right, I opened the door, so the rules say you were invited! :)

Neither I nor the vet thought any testing was needed. Whether his behavior change was because of a brain tumor or sensitivity to his hips which gave him a little trouble, the point was I knew he was less trustworthy than he had been. The cause wasn't as important as the symptom.

As far as the vet tech (which is a title I made up...I think she was actually barn cleaning staff as this vet handled large animals too), I not only wouldn't give her my dog, I was annoyed that she asked. It seemed heartless to suggest she knew a better option when I had already suffered through the decision-making process and weighed all my options. A family isn't interchangeable. It is much easier to give a dog away and tell yourself he'll be fine than it is to walk in the room with him, tell him he's a good boy while you watch him pass. That sucked.

I don't give my dogs away. I take care of them for their whole lives. Giving him away for an extra 2 or 4 years of existence on land he doesn't know with other rotts who may scare him with people who don't know him wasn't an option I would ever consider.
How was it heartless??? I would have felt happy knowing my beloved dog could still live a happy life without pestering children and with someone who has experience with his breed.

So your basically saying you'd rather ill your dog than let him live happy with someone else? That sounds kinda selfish to me. Sorry for being blunt, but to me that is basically what you just said.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #144 
MollyJean
Member
 
MollyJean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granberry View Post
It seemed heartless to suggest she knew a better option when I had already suffered through the decision-making process and weighed all my options. A family isn't interchangeable. It is much easier to give a dog away and tell yourself he'll be fine than it is to walk in the room with him, tell him he's a good boy while you watch him pass.
So this is the root of the problem. I think I understand now. And I disagree 100%.

Edit: Let me rephrase that: I would never kill the things I love just because I can't handle them anymore.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #145 
freemike
Member
 
freemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hickory, NC (USA)
I don't think we can say what was right or wrong for granberry to have done in that situation. If a professional vet said euthanization was the best option you wouldn't have been able to talk me out of it either. What if the dogs that she already had wanted to pick at or bully that older dog? How would someone feel if they had been recommended to euthanize a dog but instead gave the dog away and it did hurt someone or another dog?
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #146 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemike View Post
I don't think we can say what was right or wrong for granberry to have done in that situation. If a professional vet said euthanization was the best option you wouldn't have been able to talk me out of it either. What if the dogs that she already had wanted to pick at or bully that older dog? How would someone feel if they had been recommended to euthanize a dog but instead gave the dog away and it did hurt someone or another dog?
Sometimes you can't trust your vet
sometimes they are just in it for the money
and this vet didn't even highly suggest doing ANY tests that may have been changing his behavior.

I KNOW I can trust my vet. Because if I was to tell her I want to put down my Emma Demma because she bit me she would highly suggest testing before I proceeded with such a huge procedure.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #147 
Olympia
TFK Moderator
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
The vet would have charged more for doing tests instead of just euthanizing right away.. Doubt they were only thinking about money..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #148 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
The vet would have charged more for doing tests instead of just euthanizing right away.. Doubt they were only thinking about money..
If they truly cared about their patient and the dog they would suggest testing.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #149 
Olympia
TFK Moderator
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
So first you say they are only in it for the money, then you change your argument to if they care about the dog.. Caring and wanting money are opposites..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #150 
Granberry
New Member
 
Granberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Fishy, does 89 refer to the year you were born? Because if so, you're the same age as my sweetest son, so I'm going to give you the benefit of your youth. But the answer is, I agree with OldFishLady when she said, "I often question why some people think it is more humane to keep a dog in a small cage, limited human contact and play time waiting to be re-homed...that is existing not living......Thousands of pets wait to be adopted.." I'd do the hard thing first.

Molly, you have a child, so you don't get the same benefit of youth. :) You said this "I agree that you should kill a dog if it causes harm. But the dog didn't hurt anyone." and then went on there about perceived danger versus actual danger, etc, so that's what I understood you to be saying.

Guys, we're not doing to agree on this. You are loyal to the idea of dogs - not to specific facts, just blind adherence to the idea - to the point of foolishness. It is foolish to believe an elderly dog living out his last 3 years in a shelter is kinder than euthanasia. It is foolish to tell a person who was obviously a caring pet owner that you know better than they do what was right for their beloved dog. And it is foolish, and mean, to add a dig about their decision to euthanize their 14-year-old show dog.

But, sigh, that's why everyone in America gets a vote. And it's also why people vote the way they do.

Last edited by Granberry; 03-13-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raise your hadn if your possibly hated by walmart employee's! Arashi Takamine Betta Chat 20 03-26-2012 01:33 PM
The reason I'm here. Ashcan Bill Betta Pictures 9 06-01-2010 10:33 AM
Is there any reason... 1fish2fish Breeding Betta Fish 5 05-22-2010 10:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.