Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #1 
newbetta22

Moving the betta-- advice?

So in a couple weeks, my betta is going to live with my parents while I go on vacation. I was wondering if anyone has experience moving their bettas, and any general advice you have to make it successful?

Including dismantling the tank, driving, and setting it back up he will probably be in his cup about 2.5 hours. The water will be quite different. It doesn't have chlorine, and I imagine the hardness and pH will be considerably different too. Should I continue using the same amount of conditioner even though there won't be any chlorine to remove? Also, will this disrupt the cycle or start it over? I've been able to stretch out my water changes so I think the tank is close to stable right now.

On a side note, does anyone have good websites you like to buy betta-friendly silk plants from? I'd like to get him some new decorations to keep the tank interesting while I'm away. It's just plastic, plastic, plastic in my town.

I've finally gotten him really healthy after a couple weeks of on-off sickness (and lots of trial and error as I figured out how to be a better betta owner). I hope this big move isn't too stressful for him. :(
newbetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

I would reference this thread about moving your fish. But instead of actually shipping your fish you could just take it for the ride with you. As for taking apart your tank, as along as you keep the substrate moist and or/filter your cycle shouldn't be tarnished.

I was also advised that you take as much of the original tank water(if you have a bucket with a lid this works great!) with you so that your fish won't go too crazy with a new water chemistry. Then you can gradually add the new water to get him used to it.

As for the silk plants, I just found that live plants are much easier and much more friendly to my fishy than silk or plastic.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #3 
newbetta22

Those are great ideas. I wouldn't have thought of using the shipping methods, he should be a lot more comfortable in the car that way. Thanks for the help! I would like to eventually switch to a planted tank when I'm in a more stable situation where the tank is unlikely to be moved.
newbetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote