betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #11 
sparkyjoe

Yes, yes. What Sid said!! :)
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

We take her our at least every 2 hours, and at a point I stopped going with her, but I started again now that she's "relapsed." I think I'll start giving her treats when she pees :D
She is extremely pushy. I have a feeling she is going to be a challenge.
We started tricks- sit, lay down, and spin around. Except now she gets them all confused. For example, at a sit, she sits and then lays down immediately. I think only focusing on one trick a session will stop this from happening? I give her treats as rewards.. Totally new to me because my other dog is NOT food motivated at all, it's funny to see a dog that loves food so much to me. xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #13 
lorax84

The only thing that I would suggest is to make sure you are giving praise for good actions, not just correcting the bad ones. When I first got my pit she went out every 2 hours when I was home. When she went to the bathroom outside she got a treat, later I cut out the treats and just gave her physical affection when she finished peeing outside. Dogs only can associate praise (or correction) with their actions in the last minute tops, so you have to be quick with the praise or the dog doesn't associate the two actions. If your dog pees on the rug and you don't notice for 30 minutes there is really no point in correcting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
You may want to read up on training method for dominant dogs. Their are many small things you can do to keep her from becoming to dominant and thus a problem. Things like letting the dog on the couch can have a huge impact on their behavior. Just a tip from a pitbull owner.

Last edited by lorax84; 03-14-2012 at 09:20 PM.
lorax84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #14 
Aus

As for the biting - like with the peeing, it's SO much better to 'head her off at the pass' and get to her -before- the undesirable behaviour happens. Watch what she does when preparing herself to 'attack' the older dog and when you see her start to do whatever she does to prepare for it - step in - *before* she does a bad thing, and distract her. Give her plenty of chew toys. The older dog will eventually lose its patience - though I've seen older dogs (bitches, mostly) sustain some very nasty 'puppy cuts' before they lose tolerance. Best to avoid that altogether, its not nice for either dog and you face potential vet bills. Head her off at the pass, use the 'bah' word when you see her *thinking about* attacking the older dog, distract her to a positive experience and walk her a LOT. In my experience, 90% of 'naughty puppy syndrome' is not enough exercise, not enough avenues to relieve teething issues, anxiety over inconsistent owner behaviour and/or boredom.
Quote:
I think only focusing on one trick a session will stop this from happening?
Yup. She's only a baby, and trying to please you. Make it easy for her, at this stage. :)

Oh yipes - I just read "14 weeks" - she is an infant! so make that training REALLY easy. :D better she have fun learning one command like 'sit' for two weeks, than becoming confused about a pile of 'em.

Last edited by Aus; 03-14-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Alright. Yea, my moms' had it and she's not allowed on the couch upstairs, which is why we got her a bed.
I will do my best to keep her from biting Zara!
And we always have a ton of toys, especially stuffed animals, since she has that Dobie thing that she has to suck on something.. :3
She's having a really hard time being away from Zara right now.. she's tied to me. I think I'm gonna go chill on the floor with her.. I don't think it's healthy for her to be THIS attached to the other dog.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #16 
lorax84

Quote:
Alright. Yea, my moms' had it and she's not allowed on the couch upstairs, which is why we got her a bed.
I will do my best to keep her from biting Zara!
And we always have a ton of toys, especially stuffed animals, since she has that Dobie thing that she has to suck on something.. :3
She's having a really hard time being away from Zara right now.. she's tied to me. I think I'm gonna go chill on the floor with her.. I don't think it's healthy for her to be THIS attached to the other dog.
Don't lay on the floor with the dog, especially with a dominant puppy. Making it clear in her mind that the floor is for dogs and the chairs/couch/etc. ifs for people will make your job much easier over the next 6 mo.
lorax84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #17 
FishyFishy89

Puppy or not, she is marking her territory.

When she pees in an inappropriate place firmly tell her "no" and show her the correct spot to pee.
And when your out of the house I suggest crating her in a crate that she only has enough room to walk in, turn around and lay down.

This is going to be a long and tedious process and it does require patience. I wish you best of luck with her.

Also, no matter how much you clean the spot, there is always a scent. I believe a dogs nose is 10 times strong than ours and they will clearly smell where they have pottyed.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax84 View Post
Don't lay on the floor with the dog, especially with a dominant puppy. Making it clear in her mind that the floor is for dogs and the chairs/couch/etc. ifs for people will make your job much easier over the next 6 mo.
Oh poopy! Good to know! Either way she doesn't want to be around me. She keeps trying to escape :(
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #19 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
We take her our at least every 2 hours, and at a point I stopped going with her, but I started again now that she's "relapsed." I think I'll start giving her treats when she pees :D
We started tricks- sit, lay down, and spin around. Except now she gets them all confused. For example, at a sit, she sits and then lays down immediately. I think only focusing on one trick a session will stop this from happening? I give her treats as rewards.. Totally new to me because my other dog is NOT food motivated at all, it's funny to see a dog that loves food so much to me. xD
I suggest keeping treats to a min. Instead use lots of praise. Get really happy for her. Say "yes! Good girl! You went tinkle(or whatever word you use) outside! What a Good Girl!"

When I was training Emma I ran into the issue of having to correct Emma and repeat my commands when I didn't have a "cookie". She was just doing the trick for the cookie and wasn't doing them to please me. I hate repeating myself and when it comes to my dogs. I expect them to "sit" when I tell them to. Not 5 seconds later.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes, I plan on weaning her off the treats pretty soon..

Tethering so far consists of high pitched whining and pulling me :(