Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #1 
unitednations161

betta reflection in tank

I just got a beta yesterday and he's in a 10 gallon completely cycled tank with a heater and one plant. (the other bulbs didn't grow) and he keeps attacking the sides of the tank and flaring up at himself. He swims like he's on crack towards the sides too. What are ways to decrease him seeing his refection on the sides of the tank. I do have a background, in the back of the tank. Maybe its to dark? He's seeing his reflection against that too and the sides. Not so much the front of the tank.

Thanks
unitednations161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

The darkn background and keeping the light on the tank while the room is darker will create reflection.
I don't use backgrounds inmy tanks for this reason.
If you want to turn on the light in the tank, just turn the light in the room as well or keep the tank in a veyr well lit part of the house.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #3 
Arctic Mama

Mine does the same thing. A contact paper background or paint limits it but a dark object a few inches or feet away will cause a reflection. Still, I am of the school that flaring is healthy fish behavior so long as no other signs of stress are present. Thus, I allow the flaring (at the side of our phone, in my case) and wouldn't be concerned or remove the object without a less happy response.

It also depends on the fish - my betta is by far the most aggressive of any I have had and he flares with zest. A more timid fish who wasn't bent on establishing territory might be more stressed in the face or a rival. It just depends on what you are comfortable with and the health of the animal.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote