Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #51 
FishyFishy89

revolutionrocknroll, the "dominance theory" doesn't work for all dogs. In fact, there is not 1 training method that works for all dogs. Even the oldie "lure with a treat" doesn't work for all dogs.
Every dog needs a different training method. And clearly the OPs dobe is displaying CLEAR signs to being a dominant dog and the OP need to use dominance training to establish to her dobe a pack leader. If she does not establish herself as a pack leader she will have HUGE problems controlling her dobe.
Now if she had a dog like my Emma. Who clearly isn't dominate and clearly just wants to follow you around, I would recommend a different training method that I use for non dominate dogs while at the same time teaching her ways to give off small signs to her dog that she is alpha.
So wither you like it or not, the OPs dog needs to be trained using the alpha method.

FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #52 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Alrighty.. so when I have her tethered to me, and I'm walking and she decides she doesn't want to go where I'm going and goes into donkey mode, I just keep on going where I'm going right?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #53 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Alrighty.. so when I have her tethered to me, and I'm walking and she decides she doesn't want to go where I'm going and goes into donkey mode, I just keep on going where I'm going right?
Yup
She is again testing your alpha position.
When she stops or gets "stubborn". Firmly tell her "no" and begin to walk her in the direction YOU want to go.
Keep in the back of your mind, dobermans can suffer from wobbler syndrome. Is your dobe showing signs of leash pulling?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #54 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Not sure what that means.. I thought all puppies pull? We just started leash training so she does pull the leash...
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #55 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Not sure what that means.. I thought all puppies pull? We just started leash training so she does pull the leash...
Some puppies pull and some dont. I got lucky with my golden, she didnt pull. She just weaved back n forth xD
Best training collar I've used to stop pulling
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11325950

Pincher collar does work great but I only recommend those who will work side by side with their training. Only light contact is needed.

Another training tool that works good is:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11372093
But this is a product that works on a small selective dogs.

I've experienced 95% of my clients improve in walking with the gentle leader.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #56 
revolutionrocknroll

Dogs don't think like that... being stubborn isn't being dominant.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #57 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionrocknroll View Post
Dogs don't think like that... being stubborn isn't being dominant.
How do you know dogs don't think like that?
Did you somehow figure out their brain waves?
Their actions are the same of their supposed descendants, the wolves, so I'm pretty certain they think the same.

Have you trained a doberman who acts the same as the OP using training methods besides the "dominance theory"?
I have. I went through SO MANY training methods with my doberman. I went from the ye oldie method of "luring with a treat" to methods involving striking my dog. My last resort method was using methods teaching the dog that I am alpha by simple means of body language and voice tones. The OPs dog is not getting hurt. I'm not sure why you are SSSOOO against this method. It is best for her dog.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 03-15-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #58 
revolutionrocknroll

It's been disproven that wolf packs have alphas, betas, omegas, etc. I've already explained this. It's a breeding pair with their puppies. They don't fight for dominance. And dogs aren't wolves anyways.
I'm against it because if you do the research, IT'S NOT TRUE. This is science. Things in science are disproven all the time. This is what I'm studying at college.

Last edited by revolutionrocknroll; 03-15-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #59 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionrocknroll View Post
It's been disproven that wolf packs have alphas, betas, omegas, etc. I've already explained this. It's a breeding pair with their puppies. They don't fight for dominance. And dogs aren't wolves anyways.
There is always a leader in packs.
How do you think the WHOLE pack decides to suddenly turn 1 direction? An alpha decides the decision.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #60 
revolutionrocknroll

It's not an alpha. The puppies listen to the parents like any offspring would. And then when they want to start their own packs, they leave, they don't fight their parents. But this is irrelevant because dogs aren't wolves.

"Calling a wolf an alpha is usually no more appropriate than referring to a human parent or a doe deer as an alpha. Any parent is dominant to its young offspring, so "alpha" adds no information. Why not refer to an alpha female as the female parent, the breeding female, the matriarch, or simply the mother? Such a designation emphasizes not the animal's dominant status, which is trivial information, but its role as pack progenitor, which is critical information. The one use we may still want to reserve for "alpha" is in the relatively few large wolf packs comprised of multiple litters. ... In such cases the older breeders are probably dominant to the younger breeders and perhaps can more appropriately be called the alphas. ... The point here is not so much the terminology but what the terminology falsely implies: a rigid, force-based dominance hierarchy."
Wolf biologist L. David Mech

Last edited by revolutionrocknroll; 03-15-2012 at 01:58 PM.