Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #11 
callistra

Yes and 85 is too hot so if you have to keep your house that hot get a fan for the room so it stays cooler.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #12 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
So we have to be waterkeepers primarily, and fishkeepers as a pleasant side effect.
That's an awesome way to think of it. Thanks for that.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #13 
Arctic Mama

It totally changed my perception of aquaria when I heard that. All the sudden the menial tasks of keeping fish were THE key, and a joy, instead of a chore. And it also made fish health a lot more straightforward for me. The little fishies can take care of themselves, their bodies self-regulate for the most part. What they need help with in captivity is me creating a stable, healthy environment for them to thrive.

It's pretty much my aquaria maxim, now. I am a waterkeeper, and I keep the water for the health and happiness of the organisms in it.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

There was a young man on this forum, whom I haven't heard from in a long time, whose signature line was:

"I don't keep fish. I keep water. Water keeps fish."

(That's from memory and is word-for-word.)
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #15 
scootshoot

Depends on climate. In summer I just unplug the heaters, all my tanks can get as high as 85+ F.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #16 
Jnguy073

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Yes and 85 is too hot so if you have to keep your house that hot get a fan for the room so it stays cooler.
85degrees F is not that hot, Betta's, since they are tropical fishes usually love water parameters of 23 to 30 degrees C or 75 to 86 degrees F. Since they are tropical fishes being 86 would not do any harm, however it will affect your other fishes since at warmer waters the nitrogen cycle increases and the o2 in the water starts to cycle out faster. [basically drowning your fish slowly].

My tank is 84degrees F, with an air pump and live plants. My fish love it at 83/86 degrees depending on my room temperature.

All fishes have their own temperatures they like the best, and many tropical fishes would love to be in waters above 80 and below 88. Just make sure to have a good air flow, air pump or lots of live plants to produce sufficient oxygen for non-labyrinth breathers.
Jnguy073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #17 
callistra

82 is max for a betta for long term care. Some bettas can tolerate higher temps better than others, but they're too hot (much like deeping them at 73 instead of 76 which is too cold) and it increases their metabolism and shortens their life to keep them too hot.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I know my friend has to keep his discus at 30C and the glass is warm to the touch..
Low temps slow growth, lengthening the life, but make fish have weak immune systems. High temps speed growth, shorten life spans, and improve immunity.. This is why we aim for a middle temp, to get a good middle range for these factors.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote