Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #1 
freemike

Baffled on planted tank cylce...

For the last three days I've had 5-10ppm nitrAtes in my tank and stable 1.0ppm nitrate as I kept feeding 2-3ppm ammonia daily. The ammonia has been clearing out more and more each day and I've had to give stronger doses. Well tonight when I tested I had 0 everything. No traces of anything nada nothing zip I even tested 3 times. I tested my other tank and the tests came without some ammonia, trites, trates as I just had dosed some ammonia this morning. (I did not check the 0 tank this morning.) I'm really like confused I though nitrates stayed in the tank and the plants would only use some of them.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #2 
Zero186

Are you having any algae blooms? Normally the Nitrates are used up in plant/algae which doesn't actually mean they leave the tank. That is why we need water changes ultimately to remove it from the system. Because your test don't read anything doesn't mean they aren't there.

I am not at all familiar with dosing ammonia, but that is my 2 cents on nitrates.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #3 
freemike

The original post is supposed to say 1.0ppm Nitrite oops... no I'm not having any algae blooms. Though I did retest and I do have trace amounts of nitrates again. I'm scratching my head lol.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

How many plants do you have? If you have a lot you may have reached the point where your tank will never cycle because the plants take care of everything perfectly, (natural planted tank). This is when your plants eat the ammonia, and hardly any bacteria ever grow, so you will have minimal production of nitrites/nitrates.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #5 
Mo

If nitrates were being produced then you probably still have them in your tank, many times plants will consume a significant amount of them leading to an almost unreadable amount left. Since it seems a fi you are getting nitrates already, how fast is your ammonia being consumed, 12-24 hours?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #6 
freemike

I have Nitrates again and no ammonia or trites now. I haven't seen ammonia or trites 12 hours after a dosing in a few days. It's just that the trates keep fluctuating.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think this would mean the cycle is complete?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote