Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

I've got marimo balls for my goldfish tank as they can tolerate the cooler water and give them something to nibble on. Marimo are a type of algae and don't actually move on their own nor have I seen any evidence of them helping with algae. They move due to water currents and fish interaction. If you are looking for something to help with water quality, there are better plants for that (anarcharis, hornwort, duckweed, water sprite). Marimo is slow-growing and not great at helping water quality. If you want something interesting for your tank then go ahead. But it's not going to help with water quality.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

http://www.marimoballs.com/
Actually koimaiden they CAN move on their own. This is because algae isn't a plant, it's a plant like protist, a separate kingdom of life.. Kind of like amoeba. I'm sure if you had just a light in one part of the tank, it would sense it and move over there, even without a current.. Protists have a special light sensing "organ" in them, and the ability to move towards it. :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #13 
brettwashere

Anyone ever heard of christmas moss? I came across some at pet super market. Picked it up and put it in my small betta tank. It only like 40 ozs but I have been using it for new fish and sick fish. My new orange and white male hmpk seems to like hiding under it. Dosn't seem to change the water quality, I'm not a fan of fake plants, so I'm trying a few different things. Seem to be having a lot of luck with mondo grass.
brettwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwashere View Post
Anyone ever heard of christmas moss? I came across some at pet super market. Picked it up and put it in my small betta tank. It only like 40 ozs but I have been using it for new fish and sick fish. My new orange and white male hmpk seems to like hiding under it. Dosn't seem to change the water quality, I'm not a fan of fake plants, so I'm trying a few different things. Seem to be having a lot of luck with mondo grass.
Christmas Moss is a low maintenance plant, and a good choice. I wish we had it here.
Mondo grass is not an aquatic plant.. and will start to rot after a while, keep an eye on it.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #15 
brettwashere

Yeah, I bought the only moss I saw. PetSmart sells mondo grass out of an aquarium, claiming they are aquatic. I will keep a close eye on it. I've also tried anacris which seems to loose leaves and clutter the bottom of the tank. Something called dollarwort I believe and sagattaria. Came across some betta bulbs, petco had the best deal, and if they come in good I'm going to plant all my tanks and do away with alot of these plants. Great to have a place to come and chat about aquarium plants and whatnot.
brettwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

A lot of aquatic plants melt down- lose all their leaves- when placed in different water conditions.. Usually they will regenerate if you have what they need.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #17 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Marimo Balls
Actually koimaiden they CAN move on their own. This is because algae isn't a plant, it's a plant like protist, a separate kingdom of life.. Kind of like amoeba. I'm sure if you had just a light in one part of the tank, it would sense it and move over there, even without a current.. Protists have a special light sensing "organ" in them, and the ability to move towards it. :D
But marimo algae is a plant. There are some things that we call algae that are protists and even prokaryotes (algae isn't a very scientific term lol). Marimos are made of the algae Aegagropila linnaei which is in the kingdom Plantae (plants). Protists are of the kingdom Protista. Marimo only move due to wave action which causes their circular shape. Moving up and down in the water column is caused by oxygen production at different times in the day and also happens in other floating plants.

They are a great beginner plant as they really can survive everywhere but in complete darkness. Marimo and anubias are great beginner plants. Nearly impossible to kill! Anarcharis can be picky as some species have higher light demands. Mondo grass isn't an aquatic plant. I have the stuff growing in my backyard. It can stand its roots being wet for a while but it's not going to survive long-term.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #18 
xjenuhfur

Forget all the beneficial stuff, they're fun to look at! I have 2. One in Goblins tank and one in the little shrimp tank. My shrimp love to nom on Gargoyle and Gremlin. I've seen Goblin even nudging it around the tank. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #19 
lvandert

O.o I forgot to name my moss balls! I feel bad, so now I have Igor and Nurse :) Igor is all lumpy and Nurse is in my hospital tank
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #20 
ravenwinds

They are also available on aquabid! But watch out...cuz aquabid is VERY ADDICTIVE!
And stay away from the betta bid/sale area....I'm up 5 tanks since I found aquabid...1 30gal, 1 20g, 3 10g, 2 5gal, 1 2.5g, and one 10gallon? Tub for betta love nest...

But, I did find some wonderful plant deals!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote