Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 
Ianthe

Ten gallon question...Male/Female?

We have an established very well planted (with live plants) ten gallon that I am toying with the idea of adding a betta to...I was considering a sorority and am still tempted but also nervous to do one LOL. Also not sure if that would be way overcrowding the tank since I know you need at least four to do that.

Current residents are:

2 Otos
2 red eye tetras (used to be in a school but we lost a couple awhile back)
1 mickey mouse platy
1 cory catfish

So just trying to figure out if a sorority would be doable (I am thinking no) or if I go with a single fish if I should go male or female? Does it matter?

If I go with a single male or female, is that maxed out at that point or could I also add in a few more tetras? Or anything else?

Could I put a King in that setup? Are they more aggressive?

Thanks!
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #2 
Mo

Honestly they wouldn't do well in that tank, as the red eyes will usually nip them. Leaving them stressed which leads to diseases such as fin rot, etc, which are a pain to cure unless you have spotted them when they a developing. Also you are aware that Corydoras are schooling fish, right? and ideally should be in groups of 4+ for the larger species which I'm assuming that you have but that would max out you bioload so if you could take the Corydoras back then you could bump up the school of tetras making them feel more secure, and less nippy. They are magnificent in a nicely planted tank and show bright colors when in the perfect conditions, just watch out with space issues and make sure that you make a goal to upgrade there tank as red eyes don't show there full potential in smaller tanks as they don't have the space to swim and play as they would in a larger tank

Last edited by Mo; 03-14-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If you added in a sorority, the number used to be 4min but we changed it to 5min.. Your bioload will go over the roof, there is not room in that tank for 5 girls. A ten gallon tank can hold 6 female betta, with no tank mates.
I would just replenish a few more of those tetra, and get your cory some buddies (of the SAME species). Remember your current fish are your number one priority! And after them I don't think there is room for even one betta.
I'd get a separate little tank, 2+ gallons, with a heater and put a betta in. King betta need 5 gallons min. however.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Rather than getting new fish, I would consider sorting out your current stock. Cories need groups of 4 (of the same species), tetras (as you know) need 6, and otos do better in groups of 5 or more. Of course, this would overstock you, so you may wish to consider rehoming some of the fish to accomodate the others.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Oh I wish you were close, I have 3 red eye tetras and would love to have yours! I also have 3 black neon tetras so mine group together to make a good number...

But yes, Red Eyed Tetras are not the best to have with Bettas. They are sketchy and nippy. Mine freak out over every thing, and they nipped my Gourami's feelers off :(

I gotta agree with everything Bombalurina posted :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #6 
Ianthe

Thanks everyone! We picked up another Cory and a few more tetras for now :) We are a bit overstocked but hoping we can keep things under control with all the live plants in there and an over size filter :)
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote