Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #1 
OMGemily

The Story of Antione

A Prologue

So my name is emily, and a month ago i had never owned a fish. My step mom was buying gold fish for my little siblings (she used to breed bettas and other fish) and she asked me to come pick out a couple of my own to put in their 10 gallon tank. During our visit to the pet store, i passed the bettas. i had heard the name and i guess i had seen some before but they were just like every other fish to me. As i was waiting for my brothers to pick out their fish and get them bagged however, i found myself wandering back to the betta shelves checking out all the gorgeous fish. When the kids were done choosing their fish my step mom came up behind me and asked if i was going to get one. I didnt know if my mom would let me keep it and i didnt want to spend a lot of money without knowing anything about them. but my step mom had a spare one gallon tank so all id need was the food and the fish right? so i bought the fish and a little food and dechlorinator pack, and figured my mom would probably be ok with it :)

I got him home and in his tank and set out on the internet to find out more about him! it was then that i realized how little i knew... i did some research and comparison shopping, and the next day drove back to the pet store to get a 25w heater and a 3 gal tank. I left with a 5.5 tank and 50w heater, which saved me about 5 bucks. shortly after that, sadly, my first betta, St. Jimmy died... i believe it was from necropsy and that there wasnt much i couldve done... i didnt want the money i spent on him to go to waste though... so after mourning for the rest of the day, i went to buy a new fish after school the next day and to get my water tested.

When i got to petsmart, i was debating between 2 fish. there was this really pretty red veil tail with some light blue scales, and there was the bright blue crown tail. St. Jimmy was a blue/red crown tail and i wasnt sure if i wanted someone else so similar in appearance. but i also wasnt sure if i wanted omeone totally different... the veil tail was cheaper... but my little guy was so active! i went the day after theyd restocked so that was probably why. they didnt have dividers so all the fish could see each other and he was just flaring the entire time i was debating. so i spent the extra money hoping that, since he was more active, hed be healthier and more likely to live.

So i took him home floated him in his cup overnight and gradually introduced him the next day, and hes been alive and well for 2 weeks :) he didnt eat for a while, but it made it that much more exciting when he did! his fins are a little curled and im not sure why, hard water was suggested, but i was told it was soft. so hopefully thats not permanent or harmful, but overall i think hes doing well! and hopefully i wont have any bad news in this journal :) thanks for reading and ill be sure to keep you posted!
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

What a pretty boy he is (assuming that's him in your avatar). Enjoy your new friend.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #3 
OMGemily

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
What a pretty boy he is (assuming that's him in your avatar). Enjoy your new friend.
thank you :D and yep thats him :) i always say he looks like Dory from Nemo haha

__________________________________________________ _____________

Day 16

Bit of a late start i know haha but i summarized the first 15 days in my last post :) so last night his leaf hammock kept falling of because i didnt clean the tank wall before putting it back on after cleaning but i stuck it in the same spot again and its been there all night. Antione kept trying to lay on it and then it would fall lol so i think he was getting frustrated. i had it out for a day because i had forgot to put it back in and i think he realized how much he liked it haha hes been using it a lot more ever since.

I decided i like keeping his hood off as long as im in the room. i think his light is too harsh for him and i keep the curtain next to him open a little so he gets the gradual cycle of day and night, but i make sure to put it on anytime i leave the room for more than a few minutes... i dont want to wake up to find him all dried up out of his tank so hes been pretty happy it seems. been having a few issues with his fins curling and possible fin rot... heres the link to the thread about that: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....73#post1016973

But other than that hes been good i think :) here are a few pictures!
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #4 
OMGemily

Day 17

Nothing new really. Last night/this morning was his first "fasting day" He didnt eat the first week and i kept forgetting this week. I remembered halfway through yesterday, so instead of trying to remember today i just fed him once yesterday and once today. definitely fixed his lacking enthusiasm in food haha. on thing i have noticed since i started keeping his hood off... i can hear him chewing o.O and sucking in air... its really weird because i ever really thought fish could chew... crazy! haha i think ive decided though that when i get done with my current project in art, im going to paint him :) so well see how that works out haha and heres a video of him swimmin around :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJhOU...76AUAAAAAAAAAA
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #5 
OMGemily

Day 18

So i keep hearing people talk about how betta's have "personality" and i kinda got that but i never really saw it in Antione. Maybe it was because i didnt notice, or maybe because hes just been getting used to his (not so new anymore) home. But i think ive decided that hes kinda of a shy and very curious little guy :) hes almost always got his fins flared but he doesnt ever seem intimidated. dispite the .n. grumpy face he always seems happy :) ive yet to see him puff out his "beard" and when i stick my finger in the water he slowly comes up to check it out and then nonchalantly swims away haha usually when i come home from school i cant find him and then he just wanders out of his mug like he just woke up :p so cute :3
Old 03-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #6 
OMGemily

Day 20

I think his missing rays are starting to grow back :D theres not much of a difference yet, but comparing him now to the pictures of him previously, they look like they mught be getting a tiny bit longer :) im going to return his current heater and get him a new one sometime this weekend. i currently have one from TopFin and every time i stick my finger in there its a different temperature :( poor Antione. but his thermometer reads a consistent 80, when most of the time the water is cold to the touch... going to return that too. Its also topfin i think but its an outside one :/ so hopefully the next ones will work :) thats all for now i guess. nothing new really :P
Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #7 
OMGemily

Day 23

Antione has offially had his 3 week birthday :) haha its been a few days since ive posted, but Im so glad i took those pictures of Antione earlier! i thought his fins were getting worse, but looking at those pictures made me realize i just missed a few things before, *phew* although i still think his dorsal fin is changing a bit... ill have to keep an eye on him. Its time to change his water again and i just got him some more marbles for his tank and a better thermometer :) its one of those floating ones and when i first put it in he didnt know what to think of it haha :P he would swim up close to it and just kind of sit there and swim away, he swam around it a couple times and then just ignored it. While i was at petsmart shopping for him though i had to stop by the betta shelf and it was really hard to walk away this time haha there was this cellophane halfmoon guy that i wanted soo bad! ive started to like cellophanes quite a bit. i think its awesome that you can see their organs o.O maybe if i ever get a sorority tank :/ anyway thats about it for today :) gotta go change his water
Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #8 
OMGemily

Day 24

Oh what a stressful day it was... i need to stop posting in the morning haha. yesterday, ironically enough, i actually ended up buying another betta. it wasnt the cellophane guy though (even though i wanted him really bad) because he looked bloated and i didnt have access to this forum to see what the cure for that was :/ but i got this beautiful red CT :) also bought a divider for a 10 gallon whih i was going to get from my dad, but there were difficulties and ive got to wait a bit for that... so i floated the new guy (still nameless) in his cup to see how Antione would take sharing his tank. they flared at each other (Antione for the very first time!!) and Antione circled around haha but then when i went to take him out i noticed Antione had some MAJOR stress marks... i was really worried about him at first cuz id never seen him change so much! but they went away once i took the new one out. Anyway, i managed to fit the 10 gal divider into my 5.5 gallon tank and put the new guy on one side... Antione still got stress stripes (ive gotta say its neat how that happens) so i cupped Antione to let him chill for a bit and then let him float in his cup and after i thought he was calm enough let him back out into his side of the tank and he seems to have been fine ever since :) but it was a stressful time full of observing haha still need to name the new guy, but here are some pictures :)
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hahaha! Crowntail addict maybe? :)
That's okay, me too.
My guys rays dissolved, and I'm scared to get another one, he looks so pathetic :(
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #10 
OMGemily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Hahaha! Crowntail addict maybe? :)
That's okay, me too.
My guys rays dissolved, and I'm scared to get another one, he looks so pathetic :(
all 3 fish ive ever owned were ct bettas haha my first, St. Jimmy, died of necropsy... so i was really scared to buy another blue fish because those are who it primarily effects... but Antiones seemed way healthier than St. Jimmy did, so i guess he was just sick when i got him... still miss the little guy... antiones been having some problems with his fins too... hes a double ray CT... which no one could ever guess from how he looks now. unfortunately i dot have any pics of when i first bought him...