Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #1 
OMGemily

Thumbs up saving bettas one webpage at a time?

a month ago i hadnt the slightest clue on how to take care of a betta. i hadnt even planned on owning any fish... but since then, ive bought a fish and read a LOT. and now it makes me sad every time i see stuff like this
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-betta-ex...44.html?cat=53
on the internet. but a lot of the sites, like this yahoo link, require membership to comment. so i thought i would start a thread to post links to websites with inaccurate information so people on this forum can correct them and save a few bettas from small, cold, dirty tanks. because surely someone on here belongs to yahoo. or any other site. the link above says that she has a 2 gal (i believe) that she does 50% water changes ONCE A MONTH and she says bettas dont need heaters... so please help the cause. Post your links and write your replies :)
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #2 
bettalover2000

http://www.theaquablock.com/home.php
There's really no way to comment on this and I'm not going to send them a message, but this is stupid. It's 2 PINTS. They'll have a "care & cleaning" video soon, really want to see that >___>.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #3 
OMGemily

i just clicked contact at the bottom and sent them a message. thats crazy though... the water would have to be changed all the time
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #4 
Luimeril

contacting that aquablock site won't do you any good. you'll get an automated e-mail and never get any further. :I
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I posted a comment on the yahoo one. I don't know if it will get published/read, though.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #6 
freemike

Hmmm I wonder if that little girls fish is still alive. I still don't understand how so much misinformation gets spread about these fish. Oh and surprisingly enough they conveniently can not guarantee the life of the Betta.

Edit:

I know Bettas aren't the highest maintenance fish out there. I have to say though owning fish/aquatic creatures has been the highest maintenance animals I have ever owned. It probably doesn't help running 4 aquariums, but it's so addicting lol.

Last edited by freemike; 03-18-2012 at 02:43 AM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #7 
OMGemily

i wonder the same thing freemike. i was talking bout my first fih at school and i mentioned the water temp and 2 of my friends (both own bettas) freaked out and said i was going to boil my fish! i was like come one guys think about this... betta are tropical fish. and what does tropical mean? warm water maybe? anyway, i think they seem to be a lot more high maintenence than other fish like goldfish who just need a tank and a filter pretty much... when i bought my first guy i was NOT prepared to buy a heater, bigger tank, plants, thermometer, water test kit, live food, medicine, etc. i was just gonna put him in a little one gallon tank with gravel that my step mom no longer needed. that being said though i do absolutely love him and if i knew how much it would cost and how much i would love him id still do it all over again :)
Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #8 
registereduser

Her betta has lived for 7 years.

Is she lying or is a betta highly adaptable?

The permanent gravel is a pretty good idea, no good for corys or other bottom feeders, tho.

Last edited by registereduser; 03-18-2012 at 10:01 AM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGemily View Post
anyway, i think they seem to be a lot more high maintenence than other fish like goldfish who just need a tank and a filter pretty much...
If by tank you mean 50+ gallons for the fancies and 75+ gal for the commons and filter you mean something rated for double the aquarium size, then yes the can be easy. But they are a terrible beginner fish because of the size they grow to (10 inches for the fancies and over a foot for the common varieties).

At least that Yahoo site has some decent comments at the bottom. One person left a good website as a reference and another said that bettas do need heaters. Slowly but surely we will spread the word about good betta care.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #10 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post

At least that Yahoo site has some decent comments at the bottom. One person left a good website as a reference and another said that bettas do need heaters. Slowly but surely we will spread the word about good betta care.
This may be petty but I wish those giving excellent advice would spell check and make sure the comment looks good to the eye. Otherwise many would be apt to dismiss the advice thinking it came from a child
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote