Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #1 
joyfish

holding water

I have made it a practice to have the water sitting ready with the drops in it in case I need to change either of my two male bettas water. I have it ready as long as several days in advance.

Is this too long for it to still be alright for the fish. I did read as much as I could trying to find the answer but there is a limit to what I can do these days and sit at computer for very long is not one of them.
joyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #2 
sparkyjoe

I too used to "age" water, in addition to using a dechlorinator, but several folks on this group said it wasn't necessary. There's also the problem of the water being much colder than what you could make on the fly.

The reason I did it was because I had read (and have read since) that (particularly) in the Winter here in the Mid-West that the colder water in the ground lines was prone to having more saturated gas. When that water is released into the warmer house environment then those saturated gases (nitrogen, I think?) is released; we see it as the small gas bubbles on the objects inside your fish bowl/tank.

Apparently those gasses can burn gills and cause damage.

I don't know which is worse, the sudden temperature change if you use room temperature water, or the gases.

I've stopped aging my water and just dechlorinate it before adding to the tank.

As for your question, I don't really see a problem with using *super* aged, dechlorinated water. But if it gets to be a very long while, I would probably use it on plants and get "fresh" for the fish.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #3 
joyfish

thanks, I really must stop looking at the poor fish as both were those I knew were going to die if someone did not buy them. My care might not be the best but at least I do try and do my best by them.

I will not hold it very long at all. I just did not want to have to make a hurried replacement with water. I was managing very well until that second fish. I am happy to say he is now acting well adjusted like the first one. How I'd hate to lose either. Yep I am hooked like all fish lovers.

And very appreciative for this site and members.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #4 
sparkyjoe

That's so funny.

I had been "out" of fish for YEARS until one day, a few months after loosing my dog to cancer, I wanted a new friend and I suddenly had the thought "I'll get a betta!"

Yeah, that was about a month ago. I found one beautiful boy and set him up in a medium pet keeper. Well, soon after I decided he needed more room, so I put cycled a 5 gallon and he's now enjoying his new home.

I then found another boy that I couldn't stop thinking about so I had to go get him. I was worried about keeping him in the pet keeper, but I didn't have room for another 5 gallon. But I DID have room for a 3.5 gallon!

And, I'm now cycling ANOTHER 5 gallon tank. I have really been wanting one of those "kings" and after seeing several last weekend I knew I was helpless. I haven't gotten one yet. But the tank will be ready when I find him.

The reason I went with something bigger than the keeper I've already got is that I didn't want to be changing water in multiple containers every other day. I've worried about getting a betta and keeping them in "small" homes like the medium keeper and I thought: People get these beautiful fish every day and put them in teeny, tiny little bowls. They don't change the water or keep them heated and the poor fish usually die a cruel death. At least with me they have a couple of gallons of clean water to swim in, good food, warmth, and someone who actually cares.

I also am extremely grateful for the folks on this site (even if they *are* betta "enablers" who encouraged me to get the second one!!!).
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #5 
joyfish

Same here, my dog died in October. In all come to think of it I will say the fish may end up being cheaper than the canned dog food I was having to buy for my old dog with tender teeth.

Already thinking that tho they have stayed alive if I can manage a tank, heater etc. Now like last time I just keet the house very warm and had them in 1-1/2 to 2 gallon containers, changing water frequently. Losing my muscles and it is getting hard to do the water changes so looking at my options and money is a factor as well as my energy. but not throwing in the towel just yet on myself or fish.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

I always use aged water I keep in a tub with a thermometer and IAL as long as 10 days. Even tap water needs to be brought to the same as their old water to avoid shock to the fish. I've very meticulous when it comes to my fishies water so I probably overdue it but it's not necessary. I do find it much more beneficial to the fish and that it helps me change water much quickly because I don't need to float my fish in the tank and wait for temps to even out.

Last edited by vilmarisv; 03-17-2012 at 05:05 PM.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #7 
joyfish

Ten days are quite a while to hold water and so far I have had to use mine faster than that. I went to Petco today and looked at prices etc. Would love what they called a bookcase tank at 6.6 gal but can't afford one not to mention two, one for each fish.

Of course I just had to take a peek at their fish and saw at least two that were just staying lifeless in bottom of their small containers unless made to move. I realised that they would have to stay and take their chances with someone else since I am barely managing the two I have already and with app. two gal, containers each. Saw a heater that I know would be to big for my containers possibly so thinking of trying something else.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #8 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfish View Post
Ten days are quite a while to hold water and so far I have had to use mine faster than that.
Same here, I keep it there up to ten days. With my spawns and the multiple tanks I have I usually use it up faster. I just made water changes and setup a new tank so my container tub is in need of replenishment just after 3 days. Now with 1 spawn growing out and another just barely hatched I will have to prepare new water everyday so I won't have the luxury of aging the water for more tha 24 hours but still I won't use it straight from the tap.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #9 
joyfish

I was reading a bit more and saw the part about leaves. I have plenty of dry oak leaves so washed a leaf an put a small portion of the leaf in each tank. To my surprise my red male must have eaten his part as it is gone. Now I really must pay close attention to see what happens.

I was thinking they might like the cover or something to hide under but wanted to see if it conflicted with the water. Glad now I did not put the whole leaf in.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #10 
joyfish

humm don't see an edit so will just quickly say - found the leaf bit under the house when changing water. a relief.